Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: How does the turn signal

magic?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 AM
kardoc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P F M ( PURE FREAKIN' MAGIC !!! ) LOL

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one gripe I have about the HD turn signals, while self-cancelling is nice, is that they split the buttons up. I wish they were like the "old school" ones where both are located on the left hand grip as one button. It's so much easier. Especially if you're trying to drive in traffic and signal to the right and you hit a bump your hand naturally goes on the throttle more and zip you go ahead...kind of a safety hazard in my opinion.

Besides, I ride my Yamaha XT so much that I'm used to cancelling turns signals myself since it doesn't have self-cancelling ones. Also, another thing that's nice about manual signals is that they don't shut off after a certain time, like if you signal early on the highway it doesn't shut off by the time you reach your actual turn.

Nice feature, but has more flaws than the old one-button way...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems pretty simple to me. Continue straight ahead and they will self cancel after a dozen or so flashes. Stop while signals are working and they will continue to flash. Make a defined turn and they will self cancel. Make a rounded, barely leaning, turn and they won't

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me a while to get use to the signals being on each side, instead of just the clutch side, but one I got use to it, I was fine.....

Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hooked you to a global sencer that tracks your evey move and at the end of the year it reports all of that info to the CIA...There after all of us!!! Hooked up to your speedo, distance traveled.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
anfauglir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jc_denton
...Also, another thing that's nice about manual signals is that they don't shut off after a certain time, like if you signal early on the highway it doesn't shut off by the time you reach your actual turn...
That was what I hated most about this feature and was planning on removing the speed sensor wire connected the turn signals. However, I found out that the countdown begins when you release the turn signal. Now when I am on the highway I press and hold the button, then as I move into the exit lane I release the button. The countdown begins and it usually gives me plenty of time before it shuts off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16725/D2B91AFFB82349B5B02763AE50A7B358.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As others have stated here... It is actually a combination of distance and speed... There is no timer... That is why if you make a slow turn (e.g. into a parking lot) and continue to move slowly, it takes a long time for the signal to cancel. If you make a high speed lane change... The blinker cancels fairly quickly.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

The one gripe I have about the HD turn signals, while self-cancelling is nice, is that they split the buttons up. I wish they were like the "old school" ones where both are located on the left hand grip as one button. It's so much easier. Especially if you're trying to drive in traffic and signal to the right and you hit a bump your hand naturally goes on the throttle more and zip you go ahead...kind of a safety hazard in my opinion.

Besides, I ride my Yamaha XT so much that I'm used to cancelling turns signals myself since it doesn't have self-cancelling ones. Also, another thing that's nice about manual signals is that they don't shut off after a certain time, like if you signal early on the highway it doesn't shut off by the time you reach your actual turn.

Nice feature, but has more flaws than the old one-button way...
I don't understand why the metric set-up would be easier... I have used both types and I definitely prefer the HD set-up.... You can still manually cancel the blinker by clicking it again... You can also trigger hazard lights by holding both switches at the same time... It just makes more sense to have the switches on their prospective sides... I have never had a problem with rolling the throttle after hitting the right blinker... Are you really holding the switch down THAT long?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid
I don't understand why the metric set-up would be easier... I have used both types and I definitely prefer the HD set-up.... You can still manually cancel the blinker by clicking it again... You can also trigger hazard lights by holding both switches at the same time... It just makes more sense to have the switches on their prospective sides... I have never had a problem with rolling the throttle after hitting the right blinker... Are you really holding the switch down THAT long?
First off, do you ever ride one-handed? If so, which hand do you take off the handlebars? Your left, correct? That's exactly my point: the left hand is completely useless unless you are shifting, which is why it makes sense to have it be the only hand doing the turn signals. Your right hand should never have to cover anything but the throttle and the brakes if you want the safest bike possible.

Also, a lot of times if you're aggressively stopping to approach a stop, and you want to blip through the gears while braking, it's a fair bit more difficult to hold the brakes, blip the throttle and hit the turn signal at the same time. Not impossible, but it would be much easier to do the signal with your left hand because all it's doing is clutch and nothing else.

As per your question, I just go for a quick tap. Still, if you hit a bump or something while reaching for the signal, and you only have your four fingers on top of the throttle and no thumb on the bottom, it presents a potentialto roll on the throttle when you don't want to. It was more of an issue when I first got the bike, now I'm used to it, but it's much easier to have your right hand fully on the throttle and your left hand, which is currently doing jack crap hit the signal switch.

Quick Reply: How does the turn signal