Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at the stealer today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:57 AM
humpbackbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: at the stealer today...

Go for the bigger bike. If you trick out a Nightster for touring, bags comfy seat longer shocks etc. It won't be a Nightster anymore,and will feel and lock odd when riding solo. IMHO

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Nightster and I put passengers pegs on it and I got a stock XL50 seat for when my wife rides and she loves it. I also put a detach backrest on for her. She's not that big but still the bike is fine for rides around town and a couple hour rides. Most people don't like the fact that you would add a 2 up seat and carrie a passenger on a Nightster but it works just as well as anyother Sporster IMO. Just tighten the stock suspension a couple notches and ride.

On a side note, I use to have sportbikes and my wife hated riding on them so a Nightster is a big improvement over riding 2 up on a sportbike. Maybe that's why she enjoys riding on the Nightster, she only has the sportbike to compare too.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I think if your cramped on the sportster you may be bigger than the 300 lbs this guys is asking about.
I ride 2 up with my wife a lot shes 115 im 165 we have a mustang vintage 2up seat and a padded sissy bar, also have the progressives and a windshield. (she needs this stuff to be happy) We have gone over 300 miles a day on occasion and 100 to 150 miles most weekends just for fun. She says she has no trouble at all with the bike. I say go for it, the engine has all the pulling power you need and the rides not bad at all. If you were 2 heavier people I could maybe agree with the comments on this page so far. I think if you are weighed in around 300 theres no issue. Heck I bet theres 300 lb guys riding the sportster solo on these forums now...

An edit: I have a sportster custom not a nightster, I am speaking from my knowlege of a custom.
ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

If you plan on 2 up riding, ge tthe bigger bike. The sportster is way too cramped 2 up.
what size progressives did you add to the bike? Are they the heavy duty ones? Looks like the two of you are within 20 lbs of us or so. My wife likes a firm sporty ride in her car with firm seats so I think we'll be fine on a better looking 2 up seat with a low backrest. the 100-150 weekends are more along the lines of what we'll be doing as far as rides. Just nice little get aways together. Now me on the other hand I'll do more miles solo than that at times. No windshield for me or touring bags ever.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if your cramped on the sportster you may be bigger than the 300 lbs this guys is asking about.
I ride 2 up with my wife a lot shes 115 im 165 we have a mustangvintage 2up seat and a padded sissy bar, also have the progressives and a windshield. (she needs this stuff to be happy)We have gone over 300 miles a day on occasion and 100 to150 miles most weekends just for fun. She says she has no trouble at all with the bike. I say go for it, the engine has all the pulling power you need and the rides not bad at all. If you were 2 heavier people I could maybe agree with the comments on this page so far. I think if you are weighed in around 300 theres no issue. Heck I bet theres 300 lb guys riding the sportster solo on these forums now...

An edit: I have a sportster custom not a nightster, I am speaking from my knowlege of a custom.

If you plan on 2 up riding, ge tthe bigger bike. The sportster is way too cramped 2 up.
Hate to tell ya but combined we don't weigh 300 lbs. I am being realistic as I do like it when she rides with me. I know we are too cramped and am not too proud to say it. I also have a sportster Custom.
We have ridden a few bikes together including a Springer Softail and an Electra Glide classic. If I was to have just one bike for all around riding I'd have the Springer. However she knows how muchI like my sportster and doesn't want me to sell it. That is why we'll be getting the bagger in the near future as well as having my sporty just for me.
I'm sure there's 300 lb guys riding sportsters all over the world, butifya read the threads left by many others besides myself, They alsoagree the sportster isn't a great 2 up rider.
In the end it is more likely the original poster will end up spending close to the same amount as the Dynatrying make the sportster a better 2 up rider and end up being unhappy. Then end up taking a beating at trade in when getting the bike he should have gotten in the first place.
I'm not an expert or an HD salesman, but in my honest opinion, I'm sure heand she would be much happier with the Dyna Wide Glide he had mentioned in his first post, or something similar.

Here is an example...

ORIGINAL: davidc

When I had my Sportster I thought I would would only be riding 2-up with my wife for short trips. Once my wife started riding with me more and we started taking longer trips with friends I realised we needed a bigger bike. The Dyna rides better has more room for my wife and I, and 96 ci motor allows me to cruise at touring speed without having to upshift and downshift like I had to do on the Sportster. Also the 6 speed trans is great for highway crusing.
.... from a guy who has had them both.
The best way for rounder to know is to rent a sportster for a day and take agood longride with it 2 up. Then he (and his wife) will know for themselves.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

I bought the nightster in march of '07, and I love it! I have had some small issues but none are mechanical, and I almost traded it in because of the service I got. The important thing is I DID NOT TRADE IT! I love it so... but alas I do long for a bigger bike... but even if I had a BIG Twin, I would long for the 1200N! So I wish you luck with what ever you decide, but alas you will still long for the other...

I decided to buy my wife a 1200N in blue/black for xmas.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
x2lee
Banned

I guess so, I just based it on my wife saying shes likes it fine. Its not cramped to us. I like leaning back on those soft pillows tho...

But the last thing you said, thats good advice, rent one and decide that way.

edit: I have the 412 progressives and you should rethink the windshield, a detach will make all the diff at the end of a 5 hour ride to the beach on whether you feel like napping or playing when u get there.
I hate the way it looks but the function is great, it takes all the wind stress that your torso usually gets and thats a whole heckuva lot over some hours.

I ride 2 up with my wife a lot shes 115 im 165 we have a mustangvintage 2up seat and a padded sissy bar, also have the progressives and a windshield. (she needs this stuff to be happy)We have gone over 300 miles a day on occasion and 100 to150 miles most weekends just for fun. She says she has no trouble at all with the bike. I say go for it, the engine has all the pulling power you need and the rides not bad at all. If you were 2 heavier people I could maybe agree with the comments on this page so far. I think if you are weighed in around 300 theres no issue. Heck I bet theres 300 lb guys riding the sportster solo on these forums now...

Hate to tell ya but combined we don't weigh 300 lbs. I am being realistic as I do like it when she rides with me. I know we are too cramped and am not too proud to say it. I also have a sportster Custom.
We have ridden a few bikes together including a Springer Softail and an Electra Glide classic. If I was to have just one bike for all around riding I'd have the Springer. However she knows how muchI like my sportster and doesn't want me to sell it. That is why we'll be getting the bagger in the near future as well as having my sporty just for me.
I'm sure there's 300 lb guys riding sportsters all over the world, butifya read the threads left by many others besides myself, They alsoagree the sportster isn't a great 2 up rider.
In the end it is more likely the original poster will end up spending close to the same amount as the Dynatrying make the sportster a better 2 up rider and end up being unhappy. Then end up taking a beating at trade in when getting the bike he should have gotten in the first place.
I'm not an expert or an HD salesman, but in my honest opinion, I'm sure heand she would be much happier with the Dyna Wide Glide he had mentioned in his first post, or something similar.

Here is an example...

ORIGINAL: davidc

When I had my Sportster I thought I would would only be riding 2-up with my wife for short trips. Once my wife started riding with me more and we started taking longer trips with friends I realised we needed a bigger bike. The Dyna rides better has more room for my wife and I, and 96 ci motor allows me to cruise at touring speed without having to upshift and downshift like I had to do on the Sportster. Also the 6 speed trans is great for highway crusing.
.... from a guy who has had them both.
The best way for rounder to know is to rent a sportster for a day and take agood longride with it 2 up. Then he (and his wife) will know for themselves.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

I gotta call b.s. on all this you need a bigger bike to ride 2 up. heres some advise . dont listen to any advise here go rent a wide glide and a sportster then make your desicion . every bike has its good points and bad you decide what works for you.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
xlc06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Softail custom, very comfortable. you'll want to pull that thing into your living room and sit on it while watching a game because your recliner isn't even that nice.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The thing is... You have to get the bike that you fall in love with.... Sounds like the Nightster did it for you.... As it did for me.... Would you be more comfortable two-up on aSuperglide?... Probably.... Would you stand there and stare at the Superglide in admiration like you would the Nightster? ... Probably not....If you are just short trippin it two-up... Get the Nightster.... It's the coolest thing going for the price IMHO

Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are pretty short an a sporty works 2 up for us and put 12000 miles on this year, so far.

Quick Reply: at the stealer today...