Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
ron1019
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star ****

Another newbie........I have a star adjusment wheel below my front brake lever with a spring on it. Can someone tell me what this does ??

Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Star ****

It's for putting pressure on the throttle cables, so it can be used as a 'throttle lock'..

Years ago Harley's didn't have a throttle return spring, so you had to manually open and close the throttle. When you removed your hand the throttle would stay in it's set position, so you could remove your right hand to rest it, smoke a cig, whatever, and the bike would continue moving down the road.

When Harley added the throttle return spring that automatically 'closed' the throttle when you removed your hand (another one of those 'safety' features to keep inexperienced riders out of trouble), they added the star throttle lock.

I use the star **** on all my bikes. I have them set with just enough friction applied that the throttle will remain in it's set position when I remove my hand, but I can still open and close the throttle manually without messing with the star friction setting.

Many times when Harley sells a new bike they don't even have the star lock installed (it just screws all the way out), because if used in the wrong hands someone could tighten it all the way down, andthey wouldn'tbe able to close the throttle by hand without messing with the tension ****.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
ron1019
Intermediate

Thank you for the input. I will adjust mid range.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
soliveria
Cruiser

Brings back memories... I the early 70's I used to ride my sportster to work at midnight. I used to challenge myself to see how far I could ride with out and hands through 7 lights and gradual turns. My record was 21 miles. Kinda crazy when I look back on it. But it was fun to try and time the lights right, and I was young and stupid...

Old 10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, I won't even go into some of the 'stuff' I use to do when I was younger, and crazier.

Just for the heck of it I checked, and on the Sportsters 1974 was when they first started using the throttle return spring...

Before that it was all 'manual open and close'...

Old 10-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for warming up the bike...lock in a few more RPM's...then off.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I had one.The previous owner must have taken it off.Can I get another one from the dealer?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: freekdawg1200

I wish I had one.The previous owner must have taken it off.Can I get another one from the dealer?
Sure..

From what I've seen it's "one size fits all", and the **** hasn't changed in years, so they should be easy to find.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 AM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I had to replace mine. It is the ****, spring and a C clip, just a couple bucks I think...

ORIGINAL: freekdawg1200

Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Default Throttle Friction rather than Lock?

I could be wrong here but I don't think the wheel is intended to be a throttle lock under normal riding conditions, but more of a friction setting so it's either more or less sensitive to minor movement of your hand. I keep mine tightened up just a hair so the throttle doesn't move quite so drastically on bumpy roads and stuff when my arm/wrist is bouncing around. It makes the ride a lot smoother. It's still loose enough to return to idle on it's own, it's just not as sensitive. I'd be a bit leary of using it as a throttle lock because I'd probably dork it up trying to unlock it fast enough in an emergency.

Quick Reply: Star knob