Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Star ****

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy
Years ago Harley's didn't have a throttle return spring, so you had to manually open and close the throttle. When you removed your hand the throttle would stay in it's set position, so you could remove your right hand to rest it, smoke a cig, whatever, and the bike would continue moving down the road.

When Harley added the throttle return spring that automatically 'closed' the throttle when you removed your hand (another one of those 'safety' features to keep inexperienced riders out of trouble), they added the star throttle lock.
well, i've always believed the old adage "You learn somehting new every day"

i've only been motorcycling a few years and i never knew about the old bikes not having a return spring.
i mean, it makes sense, now that i think about it.

thanks for the info!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Friction rather than Lock?

ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

I could be wrong here but I don't think the wheel is intended to be a throttle lock under normal riding conditions, but more of a friction setting so it's either more or less sensitive to minor movement of your hand. I keep mine tightened up just a hair so the throttle doesn't move quite so drastically on bumpy roads and stuff when my arm/wrist is bouncing around. It makes the ride a lot smoother. It's still loose enough to return to idle on it's own, it's just not as sensitive. I'd be a bit leary of using it as a throttle lock because I'd probably dork it up trying to unlock it fast enough in an emergency.
Myself and others I know have been using them to hold the throttle at a set location since back in the mid 1970's.

As mentioned in my earlier post, you don't clamp them down to the point in which they have to be 'unlocked' in an emergency.

You set just enough friction that the throttle will remain in it's set position when you remove your hand, but will still allow you to open and close the throttle manually without even touching the star ****.

But like I said, most of the newer riders out there have never ridden bikes without throttle return springs, and might become confused if they remove their hand from the throttle and not have it closed.

That is why Harley sometimes removes them from new bikes when sold, to keep new riders out of trouble.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Friction rather than Lock?

OFG, It's probably just a matter of getting used to it like you said. I'd like it if the throttle just stayed where I put it but could easily be rolled off again, like you mentioned. Maybe I need to increase the friction a bit and just learn to roll the throttle off as though it didn't have a return spring.

When you tighten it a bit like that, do you find that the throttle doesn't bounce quite so much when you're on a bumpy road? Sometimes at low speeds and low gear, the throttle is so touchy that I end up being really jerky with it and it's not much fun riding like that. I'd like to smooth it out a bit more.

Shawn