Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 AM
aus168
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up in cold weather

I've seen some old posts about this. I am a newbie to Harleys, but one thing that I can't understand is how do I turn the headlight off when starting. Is this normal for HDs that the headlight goes on as soon as you turn the bike on? Seems to me that this will just drain the battery more when trying to start it in cold weather.

The last time when trying to start her up the batter just drained out and then I had to jump it with my car battery. Today when I tried to fire her up it just kept clicking away but no fire. After about 30 seconds the battery started to slow down and I could see I was getting no where. Any tips on best practices.

I have a 2005 custom.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Start up in cold weather

On all bikes Harley to Honda there are no light switchs to turn off your headlight. You could wire in a toggle switch but I wouldn't.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Many state laws require a hard wired headlight for maximum visibility and safety. Sounds like you have a battery or electrical problem--just get it fixed.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Since the mid 1970's street legal motorcycles sold in the United States have the headlight 'hard wired' so it is on whenever the motorcycle ignition is engaged.

There is no Federal Regulation that requires the headlight to be on during the daytime, but it is a requirement in most (if not all) States.

Many States require the headlight to be on during the daytime no matter when the bike was manufactured, while others only require it in bikes manufactured after a certain date, usually somewhere between 1976 - 1978.

Here is a link with motorcycle laws specific to your home State;

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=fl

Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
jbarbarian
Cruiser

I live in northern Idaho, and it can cold here in the mornings, like 37 this morning, but my bike never takes 30secs of cranking for it to start. I am sure you are pulling out the choke, but maybe your battery is going bad. That is what is sounds like to me.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Although it's possible, I doubt that your battery is going bad - just run down. Get a Battery Tender (a brand name charger, made by Deltran),wire the pigtail to the battery, and keep it plugged in all the time over the colder months. I think you will be very pleased with this arrangement and the results.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give the throttle 1 or 2 twists, before cranking it over, the accelerator pump will spray in some fresh gas to help get things going. Although I've only found it necesary to do this when it get's below freezing. Otherwise in general the bike always fires right up with just the choke on. SO i'd say you most likely have other issues, wether it be a battery that's on it's last legs, or possibly other issues, like maybe the carb is getting a little gummed up and could use a good cleaning.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM
lilredchic
Tourer

Mine if its below 40 I have to twist the trottle a couple times before I crank it or it will just crank and crank. I pull choke twist a couple times and it starts right up.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BLKXL12C

On all bikes Harley to Honda there are no light switchs to turn off your headlight. You could wire in a toggle switch but I wouldn't.
on the contrary.

my bikes ignition has two on settings, turn the key half way, let it click into place, and the engine will start without running lights. brake light turns on only if u touch the pedal or lever, and turn signals still work. ideal for warming up a cold engine,

turn the key one more click and everything is on

this is a little ugly diagram of how my bike works becuase i feel like my explantion is confusing.

imagine this as a side view of my ignition switch area, the big flat thing is the key viewed from the side as inserted into the switch.

you might say im just not turning the key enough and it wasnt designed to be like that, but why, in the turning motion of the key does it have two specific points where you can feel it click into place. i feel it was designed. even though its not labeled on my bike.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

All I have is off/ accessories/ run, on my switch.

Tom

Quick Reply: Start up in cold weather