Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster v. modern Bonneville

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 PM
skid jackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportster v. modern Bonneville

Got an 07 flht that I just don't ride enough. (main ride is a dirtbike). While its paid for I don't like seeing a $17,000 bike sit. Planning on selling it and getting a used modern bonneville for occasional ride around town or some back road bombing. You can pick up a nice used on for abut $4000. A $4000 bike sitting around doesn't bother me so much. Saw a nice looking sportster the other day and thought hmmm maybe one of those might be nice. I knowyou can pick used ones up cheap. For the record I'm more dirtbiker than anything else, I can live without a road bike. Not a "true believer" or into the whole hd look or lifestyle thing. just like the idea of having a cheap fun cool bike to run around on every know and then. curious if anyone here has any real seat time on both bikes. I've been on a bonny but never a sportster. My tastes run more to roadster/cafe racer than chopper or bobber. Bobbers are cool tho!! Right now I'm more inclined to go with the bonny. However, I do like to mix things up a bit and try something different.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: sportster v. modern Bonneville

All I can suggest to you is to test ride both the bikes and see which one you like better.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

Wow who bamboozled you into buying a touring bike? sounds like it was the exact wrong bike for you... if you arent into the "HD look" why bother with a sportster? there are plenty of similar sized bikes available for less money. And as for having an 07 FLHT paid for already I salute you sir

Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 AM
walc
Cruiser

I had a 2006 Triumph Scrambler.
It's a very nice bike at a reasonable price.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd love to try a modern Bonnie. I have a 73 that I love, but it is needy and not the bike I'd take out for prolonged riding.

Even just imagining the modern "big twin" (the old British sense of BT), it would be a very different feel from the Sporty. The engine is a lot smaller, but still pretty torquey.

Whatever you decide, post it here. I'd be interested in your take.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

I have my eyes on the Thruxton, personally [8D]

Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Bonnie's but price and dealer's or sould say lack of dealer's would be a factor.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Sportsters are fast Harley's, but not fast motorcycles. If you're looking for something small, fast, and can go on dirt roads stick with the Euro or Jap bikes. The import bikes are usually liquid cooled with higher rev limits, have cams instead of push rods and just generally faster ( Sometimes with A SIXTH GEAR! :P ).

If you like the dirt bikes then why not get a Suzuki DRZ400 or Honda XR650 Dual Sport bike. I had a DR200SE and a DRZ400 and they were great bikes for on/off road. Christ the DRZ400 would go over 100mph with ***** and it was a street legal 4-stroke dirt bike. With this you have the best of both worlds and you can travel from trail to trail on the road, I really miss my Dual Sports.

If you dont want/like the Harley look then dont bother, Harley's are about a style and persona not speed and racing (barring v-rods).

-Good luck with the new bike, anything you buy will be fun.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
jc_denton
Road Captain

Judging by the engine size and specs alone, the Sportster is a much better bike. I'll compare the 883 Sportster to keep it fair because the 1200 Sportster is much better than the Bonny performance-wise.

883 Sportster vs. Bonneville (not T100):

Displacement: 883cc vs. 865cc
Final Drive: Belt vs. X-ring chain
Fuel System: EFI vs. Carbs

So, basically, with the Sportster you get a bigger engine, no chain maintenance, EFI, and hydraulic valves that require no adjusting. The Bonneville would be both more maintenance and less performance. I'd get the Sportster. Even the 883 plain runs only $6,500 new, so you should easily be able to get a Sportster cheap.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I would test ride both, but from what you say yourself, I suspect you would be happier with the Bonneville.

Quick Reply: sportster v. modern Bonneville