Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster v. modern Bonneville

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sportster v. modern Bonneville

the bonnie is 100lbs lighter than either Sporty and handles amazingly well.

in the quarter mile the bonnie will beat the 883 but will lose slightly to the 1200.
ih the twisties, the bonnie will beat both.

since you are a mainly a dirt rider, i'd go with the bonnie since it is a smaller and better handling bike than either sporty.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jc_denton
The Bonneville would be both more maintenance and less performance.
Maintenance yes, performance no. The Bonne only weighs 451 lbs dry and has 52 ftlbf of tourque. The Sporty is 563 lbs/55 ft lbs. The Bonne has 66 bhp hp too, which is likely higher than the 883.

I like both. Having owned both makes, I will say that the Harleys have better build quality, but the Triumphs are more unique and have a bit more character.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

When I bought my '01 Sporty I was also looking at the Triumphs; sold a Norton Combat Commando to purchase another bike. The pre-rubber mount sporty's are a lot leaner than the '04 and later rubber mounts and would weigh about 25lbs more than the Triumph (WET; you can't ride 'em DRY) I didn't really want to "buy into" the harley thing having had a number of Brit bikes over time, but the aftermarket gave the Sporty far more potential to be whatever I wanted it to be...it had 100hp/88ftlbs when I sold it and could keep up to and clobber any other metric "cruisers"I encountered. If you don't want to do much to the bike after, than the Triumph would get my vote for being somewhat smoother.....but if you like to tweak and modify then the '01 - '03 Sporty is the way to go. I currently ride a 103inch FXDXT and hope to find an '02 or '03 883R to work up into a fun solo ride.....the used Sporties are cheap.....

Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 AM
77 FXE
4th Gear

Test ride the Triumph Scrambler,,,,
you'll be sold.

I'm still flip'n a coin between the
Speedmaster or the new "classic" Bonnie 68

[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a friend who just sold his speedmaster. He loved it but his daughters health issues forced the sale. Says he'll get another one as soon as he can though.I thought the speedmaster was a cool bilke.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Wow, ok I just went to Triumph site for a look around. The Scrambler looks like it would be just a blast to ride. I dont usually like the crotch rocket bikes but the Speed Triple in jet black is badass. I personally dont like any of the other bikes on there, but everyone has their own taste. The Bonnevilles are pretty much a Sportster style so no complaints there. I like Triumphs slogan:

"Some people go through life following the crowd - Others think for themselves - They go their own way"

That's funny and I'm slightly offended!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would not go wrong with either bike. The Sportster got my nod due to the belt drive. That may seem like a little thing, but the bikes are really good competitors. I don't ever intend to get another chain drive bike. That's just my perspective.

Unfortunately, only test riders get much chance to ride lots of models of the same vintage and compare them. You will get more info by reading all the tests that you can locate on the web.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
x2lee
Banned

Yes those year Sporty 1200s weigh in less than 500 lbs wet...
I would pick the Sportster hands down...
ORIGINAL: sharkey

When I bought my '01 Sporty I was also looking at the Triumphs; sold a Norton Combat Commando to purchase another bike. The pre-rubber mount sporty's are a lot leaner than the '04 and later rubber mounts and would weigh about 25lbs more than the Triumph (WET; you can't ride 'em DRY) I didn't really want to "buy into" the harley thing having had a number of Brit bikes over time, but the aftermarket gave the Sporty far more potential to be whatever I wanted it to be...it had 100hp/88ftlbs when I sold it and could keep up to and clobber any other metric "cruisers"I encountered. If you don't want to do much to the bike after, than the Triumph would get my vote for being somewhat smoother.....but if you like to tweak and modify then the '01 - '03 Sporty is the way to go. I currently ride a 103inch FXDXT and hope to find an '02 or '03 883R to work up into a fun solo ride.....the used Sporties are cheap.....

Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
akenaten
Banned

I have both. For what you are saying is your type of riding I'd go with the Bonnie. The Scrambler isn't really for off road,it just has the look. Just know that Triumphs have a lot less aftermarket support.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd been thinking of getting a Bonne T100 lately. There's a lot of ok reading on this Triumph forum.
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-models-dealers/

Quick Reply: sportster v. modern Bonneville