Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
ccmd2b
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke..

This may be a stupid question since I'm a newbie and all but just to make sure.. I have to choke my engine on a cold start for about2 minutes or so before I begins to run normally unchoked. Is this normal? Just making sure.

CC

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
carpet dude
Tourer
Default RE: Choke..

thats normal , cold weather even longer. no worries, enjoy. you can drive with the choke part. on till warm.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to wean it to half choke in a minute or so, then no choke in another minute or two. I let it sit at no choke for awhile before shoving off. You get a feel for it after awhile...avoids carb farts if not warmed up enough.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree, for a stock bike that sounds pretty normal. Get a Stage 1 done and you'll use your choke a whole lot less. I couldn't believe the difference!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

I agree, for a stock bike that sounds pretty normal. Get a Stage 1 done and you'll use your choke a whole lot less. I couldn't believe the difference!
Agreed.

The ambient temp also plays a large factor. When it was 105 degrees I didn't hardly use the choke at all. When it was 15 degrees, it took forever for the bike to warm up.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Agreed.

The ambient temp also plays a large factor. When it was 105 degrees I didn't hardly use the choke at all. When it was 15 degrees, it took forever for the bike to warm up.
"Back in the day" (early 1960's), when my only transportation for 2 years was a trusty old magneto-fired Triumph TR-6C, I used to ride when it was 15 degrees outside - no choice. I have to admit I have some really great memories of that time and a host of stories I could tell. However, today I have a choice, and the Sporty stays comfy connected to its Battery Tender while I stay comfy in my easy chair, remote in hand, and Jack Daniels on an IV drip.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"Back in the day" (early 1960's), when my only transportation for 2 years was a trusty old magneto-fired Triumph TR-6C, I used to ride when it was 15 degrees outside - no choice. I have to admit I have some really great memories of that time and a host of stories I could tell. However, today I have a choice, and the Sporty stays comfy connected to its Battery Tender while I stay comfy in my easy chair, remote in hand, and Jack Daniels on an IV drip.
I hear ya. It doesn't get THAT cold here very often. And I do have a Jeep I can drive if I must. Since I work from home, if it's that cold, I usually don't go anywhere (except maybe for the Jack Daniel IV drip supplies ) . The only reason I rode when it was 15 was for Patriot Guard missions. But I did ride quite a bit, just for the hell of it, with temps in the 20's.

Today is gonna be my first "brisk" ride of the season. I've got to ride about an hour east of Nashville (interstate speeds) to FINALLY get my clutch replaced. Thank God!!! High temps are going to be low 50's and partial rain showers. Certainly not extreme conditions, but since it was in the low 90's just a few days ago, this is probably gonna hurt.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you first start the bike, push the choke in or pull out to the point the engine seems to be running the most efficiently and gently take off on your ride. As you move along you can gradually push the choke further in. Here in Az, (it never gets really cold) I will have my choke all the way in within a mile.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM
mwhit069
Cruiser

Thats the great thing about the 07 Sportsters... EFI.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mwhit069

Thats the great thing about the 07 Sportsters... EFI.
The choke is not as big adeal as a post like this can make it seem; however, EFI is the future, and as we march further into that future it will get better and better. I'm not saying the '07 EFI is bad, but I will take a carburetor over it because that is my preference at this point in time.

Quick Reply: Choke..