Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH NO!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH NO!

I have a small oil leak on the rear part of the engine. If you look at the back (at the end near the seat) you can see that there is a little bit of oil that has dripped down onto the parts below. You can also see a little bit of oil on one of flat parts of the engine on the left side.

Its not a significant leak, I check the oil level all the time and its still right up in the middle of the dipstick. So its not like its pouring out. I have taken it to the dealer shop and they have put some dye into the oil so that they can track where the leak is coming from. I'm perplexed as this just "popped" up.

I have no idea what caused this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Default RE: OH NO!

possibly rocker box gasket?

I recently had issues with my 07 1200c and it ended up being the chrome upper/lower rocker box on rear. They said it had a factory defect.

I found oil wheeping out between the upper and lower rocker boxes mostly, possibly some also from the gasket between the head and lower rocker box but couldn't tell. Didn't really use a lot of oil, but it made a mess for sure. Same exact place though, left side mainly and it would go down to the flat black portions of my engine/trans casing. It started out very small amounts and got worse within a week, then stayed the same until was able to have the dealer across the state line look at it for me. At one point it did get so bad that it'd dribble a little oil down the backside of engine over the cooling fins and leave me with the lovely smell of burning mobil 1 while sitting at a red light lol

First thing they did was just swap the upper and lower gaskets and the 4 o-ring gaskets over the bolts and made sure the rocker box wasn't warped or cracked. It blew the gaskets out again on my way home from the dealer (65 mile ride down interstate). So when I took it back they ripped it down and told me it had a factory defect that they didn't catch the first time. After a week of waiting for parts, they swapped the rocker box out and been great ever since. Put about 1000 miles on bike since and no issues.

From my experience with same issues, I would say to check your rocker box and gaskets.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: slackwolf

possibly rocker box gasket?

I recently had issues with my 07 1200c and it ended up being the chrome upper/lower rocker box on rear. They said it had a factory defect.

I found oil wheeping out between the upper and lower rocker boxes mostly, possibly some also from the gasket between the head and lower rocker box but couldn't tell. Didn't really use a lot of oil, but it made a mess for sure. Same exact place though, left side mainly and it would go down to the flat black portions of my engine/trans casing. It started out very small amounts and got worse within a week, then stayed the same until was able to have the dealer across the state line look at it for me. At one point it did get so bad that it'd dribble a little oil down the backside of engine over the cooling fins and leave me with the lovely smell of burning mobil 1 while sitting at a red light lol

First thing they did was just swap the upper and lower gaskets and the 4 o-ring gaskets over the bolts and made sure the rocker box wasn't warped or cracked. It blew the gaskets out again on my way home from the dealer (65 mile ride down interstate). So when I took it back they ripped it down and told me it had a factory defect that they didn't catch the first time. After a week of waiting for parts, they swapped the rocker box out and been great ever since. Put about 1000 miles on bike since and no issues.

From my experience with same issues, I would say to check your rocker box and gaskets.
Thanks for the response. This sounds exactly like what mine is doing. I can see that the oil has dribbled down the back side of the engine, and run into just one of the flat parts on the left side. Its not much of a dribble, but enough to put oil where it shouldn't be. I'm putting it in the shop next Wednesday to see where we go from there.

Thanks again for the response.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As was said, sounds like a rocker cover gasket. Mine developed a very slight leak there around 9,000 miles I finally got it replaced around 20,000 miles.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Whistle Dick
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine just started leaking in the exact same spot, not a lot just enough to be a nuisence. I plan on bringing it in soon, it started at around 9,000 miles or so.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Yep. This is what I'm experiencing. Not a big drip, just a little bit. I have an appointment to have them look into it next Thursday. Weathers far too good, and we've had far to little good weather this year to put it in the shop this week.

I'm going to keep a close eye on my oil level and get it in next week. Thanks all.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

Yep. This is what I'm experiencing. Not a big drip, just a little bit. I have an appointment to have them look into it next Thursday. Weathers far too good, and we've had far to little good weather this year to put it in the shop this week.

I'm going to keep a close eye on my oil level and get it in next week. Thanks all.
Yep, not a big deal, just a big mess. Just as long as you keep an eye on the oil level, and it stays at a small dribble like mine (and all others I've heard), keep on riding until you can get it in. The harley dealer I took mine to across the state line (Eastern Shore H-D in Daphne, AL) said I could come pick my bike up and ride all I wanted until the parts came in, but weather was bad and I didn't want to do 2 more 130 mile roundtrips in the rain lol

also, my bike had this issue at about 4200 miles and got a hair worse at about 4600, and then it was fixed not long after. A little bit of oil will make one huge mess lol running down the interstate, mine would splatter a little oil down my oil tank cover and battery cover. nasty mess to clean up.... luckily both times I had mine at the harley dealer, they cleaned up my engine and washed the bike for me, so I wasn't the one who had to deal with cleaning up mobil 1 mist lol

Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know what they tell you or do for it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Whistle Dick
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Stargazer I am very curious what they say and do and the cost if you don't mind keep me informed, thanks!

Doug

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Whistle Dick

Yes Stargazer I am very curious what they say and do and the cost if you don't mind keep me informed, thanks!

Doug
It should be free and covered by warranty. If they say no, I'd be raising H#LL!

The dealer I took mine to didn't ask any questions both times I had mine in and they never said one word about cost or anything when they replaced the gaskets the first time and replaced the upper/lower chrome rocker boxes and gaskets the second time it was in. I had my air cleaner (doherty powerpacc), exhaust (V&H shortshots), and pc3 installed when I took it in even. not a word.

Quick Reply: OH NO!