Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so close...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so close...

Well, if it wasn't for a little 3/4 inch spacer, I would have my Sporty on the rode today...

For those that don't know, last year I came home from my second tour in Iraq a little early in order to go to WO school. Well, I had about a month at home before leaving for 6 months. Both the Wide glide and the sportster were all wrapped up in storage in my garage. I had no foot pegs on the Wide Glide at the time (long story) so I decided to"unwrap" the sporty and run around a bit, shake the Iraq funk from my mind, and prep for WO School.

Well, all was going good. I was out on a back rode tearing up some curves with a good freind. I got a little over zealous, and took a corner to wide. Went into a ditch. The bike stopped, and I went over the bars and rolled to a stop in a pile of dust. I was a littel banged up, but mostly my pride was hurt. The front rim was bent. The front fender was tore up. The tank was dented. And I think the forks were bent. I probably should not have rode it, but I limped it home, and had no time to do anything with it. I stripped it down to the frame, unsure if I was going to call the insurance, do some radical mods, or just put it back together. I have dropped dirt bikes a lot, but this was my first real accident on a rode bike. Guess that cherry has been popped... I left for school with my Sportyin pieces, and the WG still "winterized", and returned home in July.

I got the Wide Glide "unwrapped", and have been rideing it, while slowly putting the Sporty back together. I replaced all the tins with 03 vivid black tins. New front end. Lowered the rear. New Lepera bare bones seat. New front rim. Other minor peices. Got it all on ebay, pinching pennys.

Anyhow, its all together minus the front wheel. The wheel is off a different year, and the center is narrower, so I need different spacers. I was hopeing to take her on a test drive on this beautiful day, but NOOOOoooo. lol It is looking great though!

Guess I will head off to the pumpkin patch with the kids... Luckily I still have my WG to ride! If I can talk the wife into it, I may sell the Sporty and get an EGlide to park next to the WG. Anyhow, sorry for the long post. Anyone got a 3/4 spacer they can deliver to my house in 30 seconds???? naw,I guess not...