Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rides

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
CBRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Rides

Since I got my Sportster last February I never ride my other bike, a Suzuki DR650, so I am going to sell it.

I am concerned about letting people test ride the bike before they buy it. In addition to the liablity in case they get hurt, if they drop it and tear it up I will be stuck with a wrecked bike. But if I don't allow test rides it may kill the deal with a lot of buyers.

I know that one of the big metric dealers in this area will not allow test rides on used bikes without signing a contract and making a deposit first.

What do you folks do when selling a bike?

Thanks,
CBR

Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Test Rides

I have sold bikes to non-riders before, so with thosetypes test ridingwasn't an issue because they couldn't ride. Those that I have sold to riders, I just let them ride it (with my insurance in tact while I hold the keys to their car). If the bike was not insured, I permitted no test rides on the road under any circumstances!

In fact, truth be told, I have on a couple of bikes removed the plates and said the insurance was dropped after talking to the prospective buyer on the phone. In those cases it was obvious (to me) thatI was dealing with a younger reckless person or someone who THOUGHT they could ride. It's always easier to bolt on a plate then to take one off in front of a prospective buyer. No one (thank God!) has ever damaged one of my bikes for sale, nor gotten hurt.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thumpers idea of pulling the plate to discourage test pilots is a good one, other than that I would offer to take them for a ride so they can feel for themselves that there are no odd vibrations or soundsand that all the gears work properly etc. (provided yours has a two up seat)
If that's not good enough find another buyer.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were going to privately sell a bike, I would not allow test rides. Usually we just do trade-ins at a dealer towards our next bike, but you aren't getting a next bike...so, no test rides!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If he likes the look and everything else about the bike. Let him give you the money for the agreed price with the understanding that if he rides it and finds anything wrong with the bike you will either repair it properly or give him his money back. Put a time limit on it: 15 minutes (for example).

He has to know what he's looking for and what he wants. The fact that he rides it and ends up just not liking it is a different matter for you to decide which way to handle it. If you're satisfied that he didn't harm the bike you could agree to give him his money back.

He has to understands that if he drops it or damages it, it's his.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

every time i sell a bike. I will let them test ride it IF:::

1. they have a state Bike license

2. they sign a waiver

3. they let me hold either their license or a CC while they are on a ride.

I am not a dealer or anything and most people understand

Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Hawg Dog
Advanced

There's too many fools out there that just want to take a free ride . Not on my scoot !

Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I just realized, have you thought about keeping the DR650 and just insuring it minimally?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM
CBRider
Advanced

Thanks for your replies. A prospective buyer is coming to see the bike tomorrow. I think I'll have cash in hand before a ride...

Thanks again,
CBR

Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are confident that your bike is in good condition.... You might consider offering to allow a certified motorcycle mechanic to inspect the bike (at the prospective buyer's expense). I have sold three bikes, and have only allowed one test ride (because I knew the buyer). I have also never had someone take me up on the mechanic offer, but it did seem to inspire confidence.... and they made the purchase.