Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Not A Harley) But Looks Like I'm In For A Treat

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 04:18 PM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Default RE: (Not A Harley) But Looks Like I'm In For A Treat

Riding another bike is only going to make you appreciate your Harley more.

Old 10-17-2007 | 04:38 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

It looks alot like the Honda NX lineup from the late 1980's.

My favorite and which I still own.....is this 1978 Yamaha DT250. However, it has not been started in several years and has been in storage. Last time I rode it......I was in town and a guy says to me, "Your bike is smoking alot, it must be worn out!" Of course it is going to smoke some.....it is a two-stroke engine. Anyways, here is a picture of it....

I still enjoy the dual purpose/Enduro motorcycles.......always have

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:00 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

ORIGINAL: Thumper26
I've ridden a friend's Suzuki SV-1000 "Dual" purpose bike and it hauls on the road. Kind of lacking in the off-road department, and I think they have a nerve calling it a "Dual" purpose machine.
That's because it's not the dual purpose you're thinking of. In this case, they mean dual purpose as in a combination ofstandard bike /sport bike / sport touring -- not the combination of a dirt bike / street bike. At least that's how I've always thought about it.
Iwould agree with your definition; however, Suzuki markets the V-Strom as a "Dual Sport" to the novice,but more importantly, my friend was sold on the bike by the "fact" (as stated by the salesman) that it doubles as an off-road bike when you're out touring in the country and want to take a "romp" or shortcut through the "meadows and woods". Geeze, the tires aren't even much moreaggressive than the Sporty's! Needless to say, he's been stuck a few times, but he still loves the bike. He keeps telling me I have to get a bike like his that doesn't need a paved road beneath it! Been there, done that. I used to race off-road and I know what's needed. The V-Strom ain't it.

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:01 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: EVOrider
I still enjoy the dual purpose/Enduro motorcycles.......always have
Yeah, they can be fun. I have a 2006 Yamaha XT (223cc) that I bought this year because the dealer couldn't sell it. They just now released the 2008 XT with a boatload of improved features for basically the same price. I missed out on a rear disc brake, 250cc engine, and some other stuff.I will say, though, the new color and look is rather effeminate.

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:04 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Thumper26
Iwould agree with your definition; however, Suzuki markets the V-Strom as a "Dual Sport" to the novice,but more importantly, my friend was sold on the bike by the "fact" (as stated by the salesman) that it doubles as an off-road bike when you're out touring in the country and want to take a "romp" or shortcut through the "meadows and woods". Geeze, the tires aren't even much moreaggressive than the Sporty's! Needless to say, he's been stuck a few times, but he still loves the bike. He keeps telling me I have to get a bike like his that doesn't need a paved road beneath it! Been there, done that. I used to race off-road and I know what's needed. The V-Strom ain't it.
Hah, wow I didn't know they seriously marketed it as an offroad-capable bike. That's kinda funny considering they actually do have dual sport bikes that are meant for offroad like the DR-Zs. I guess it's whether you want more dirt with your road bike or more road with your dirtbike.