Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the beater bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought the beater bike!

The last couple months on my way to work there has been this little blue metric bike sitting outside of this old house. I've been kind of looking at it thinking 'hey that might make a fun little woods bike or beater bike for my gf to learn on". It's a Honda I think, looks like maybe a 200-400cc from the road, maybe late 80s early 90s, two cylinder. Kind of a cafe looking thing with the long vinyl 'level' seat.

Well this morning when I went by it was sitting out by the road with a sign on it, so I pulled over to try and read it, I couldnt make out what it said about the model but it was for $500 obo!. I'm going to go down at lunch time and see what it is and how bad of shape it's in. I know it runs and is street legal becuase I've seen the kid riding it around town.

Anyhow I might be buying it and teaching my gf to ride on it, so she can get a 'real' bike with me someday. Then it will be a woods bike!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Buying a woods bike...maybe

I'd be interested in what it is. It sounds like a dual sport but for the life of me, without knowing what year it is, I have no idea. I'll be watching for your post this afternoon.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

I don't think it's a dual sport, its not 'dirt bike-ish' at all, but just has that cafe look to it, straight seat, twin pipes etc. But I want to put ***** on her and take her in the woods for a good time, I sold my dual sport (DRZ400) for my Harley, and I really miss riding in the dirt. I'll know what it is around noon.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
gmerr2
Cruiser

I wish I could find a deal like that...my g/f doesn't like riding on the back of my bike...she wants her own....

Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe a cb350? if so, grab it. classic bike.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah what you have described sounds like the cb series. I had a '74 cb360 when I was a kid. It was a fun beater.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you located at I've got a Yamaha Radian 600 that runs good just needs a carb clean. I was going to do it but I can't stop riding my Sporster. Got to the point were I just want to ride not work on them.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

Well I found out what it is, it's older than I thought it was, but I was looking from the road. I just had to run over town for work and stopped along the way to look at it.

It's a 1975 Yamaha RD200, it's in running order but rough shape, she would need some love, paint, and polish. The tach is full of water and broken but the speedo is ok, and the front fender has some dings in it. I work at a body shop so this stuff is no big deal. They want $500 like I said before but I think I could get it lower if I showed up with cash.

What do you guys think she's worth?
If I were to classify it under KBB or something I would say it's in poor-good shape

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla

Well I found out what it is, it's older than I thought it was, but I was looking from the road. I just had to run over town for work and stopped along the way to look at it.

It's a 1975 Yamaha RD200, it's in running order but rough shape, she would need some love, paint, and polish. The tach is full of water and broken but the speedo is ok, and the front fender has some dings in it. I work at a body shop so this stuff is no big deal. They want $500 like I said before but I think I could get it lower if I showed up with cash.

What do you guys think she's worth?
If I were to classify it under KBB or something I would say it's in poor-good shape
I'd start at $250 and then go up but not too much. maybe $350-$375 tops

Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$500 There somking crack. Parts are hard to get for them. Dose it run? offer them $100 tops. It may be a giant can of worms. Ihave a bud that has one (don't run) that he is going to part out on ebay. The best old bike are the CB350's, the 360 had cam chain problems. Good luck. I 've restored a lot of old Jap bikes so if I can help let me know.

Quick Reply: Bought the beater bike!