Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratches on Forks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:39 AM
Road Head
|
Road Master
Default Scratches on Forks?

What is the best way to remove small scratches on the lower forks?

Old 10-15-2007 | 12:12 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Scratches on Forks?

mothers powerball mini MD

Old 10-15-2007 | 01:15 PM
Road Head
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

mothers powerball mini MD
I'm guessing that I will have to shine up the whole lower fork if I use the "ball"?

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:08 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

You realize that using a powerball and polish will do virtually nothing.... the fork sliders are clearcoat over aluminum. Ya gotta strip, wetsand then polish. In most cases a light scratch can be buffed out of the clear but if scratched through the clear then it cant without stripping and polishing.
When I took my reflectors off one side pulled some clearcoat offso I eventually just stripped, sanded and polished the alum. to shine like chrome...

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:37 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Damn that looks nice Capt. I might have to try that.

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:50 PM
wildhair1
Cruiser

When I bought my sporty the forks were scratched and oxidized pretty bad. We tried everything and eventually bought a set off ebay that someone removed to replace their's with chrome. A lot less work than sanding them and they look like new. They were cheap too. Around $35.00.

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:23 PM
carpet dude
Tourer

ORIGINAL: capttawes

You realize that using a powerball and polish will do virtually nothing.... the fork sliders are clearcoat over aluminum. Ya gotta strip, wetsand then polish. In most cases a light scratch can be buffed out of the clear but if scratched through the clear then it cant without stripping and polishing.
When I took my reflectors off one side pulled some clearcoat offso I eventually just stripped, sanded and polished the alum. to shine like chrome...
Looks great how long did it take? do you have to polish them all the time now?

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:35 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

I did it in an afternoon hand sanding after a chem. stripper,then power buffed with compound &mothers ( it was Feb. so I had time anyway). Ijust hand wipe them with Mothers Alum. polish now every few months or whenever it looks like it needs it (and I actually live and ride near saltwater). Basic cleaner wax from time to time actually takes any oxidation off. They don't oxidize that fast and are no different than your triple trees, shift/brake levers and such as for keeping a shine. Quite a few folks on here have done it, I know ****** has. Not really a tough job and looks better than stock dull grey and cheaper than a set of repl. chrome sliders.

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:49 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

capttawes, I still haven't got time to do mine but I will probably do it this winter.

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:23 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: capttawes

That's probably why it did nothing to my forks. i spent a good part of the day polishing it.

next saturday i will wetsand it and try again, thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: Scratches on Forks?