Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporster Hardtail

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Sporster Hardtail

If you want to build a hardtail Sportster, I think that is cool, get a rolling chassis and build one.
If you want to put solid struts to make it a hardtail suspension, what's the point? It doesn't even look close to a one piece frame imo.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 128auto

If you want to build a hardtail Sportster, I think that is cool, get a rolling chassis and build one.
If you want to put solid struts to make it a hardtail suspension, what's the point? It doesn't even look close to a one piece frame imo.

As they say, 'each to their own', but I agree with you...

I don't see the point of taking the stock Sportster frame and just "blocking off" the rear shocks.

All it would do is make the bike 'feel' like it has a custom hardtail frame, but it won't do much to change the looks.

In talking with my friend that owns the company that builds the custom bike, the 'hot thing' right now is a softail type frame they are building for Sportsters. It's much like the Softail frame, with hidden rear shocks, but still "looks" like a hardtail.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: 128auto

As they say, 'each to their own', but I agree with you...

I don't see the point of taking the stock Sportster frame and just "blocking off" the rear shocks.

All it would do is make the bike 'feel' like it has a custom hardtail frame, but it won't do much to change the looks.

In talking with my friend that owns the company that builds the custom bike, the 'hot thing' right now is a softail type frame they are building for Sportsters. It's much like the Softail frame, with hidden rear shocks, but still "looks" like a hardtail.

I have seen these types of frames in the magazines. They look so much like a softail it's uncanny. I had to look twice at the pics at the tell-tale signs (primary cover, integrated engine/trans cases etc) to believe it was a sporty based custom. However IMO I'd have just bought a softail if I was gonna go that far.
I know there's the hardtail rear sections for the ironheads on ebay, but unless the person who is undertaking the project is a skilled welder or has a buddy who is I'd just buy the whole hardtail frame from J&P or someplace similar to avoid safety issues.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot see the point either, why take something that rides fairly rough as it is (you all know it's true) and make it ride more rough?

I also cannot see taking a sportster that has a 74" motor and building these customs. granted to can save cost, and if you can use a buell motor you can still get the ponies, butI just don't think I would do it. I have been researching a quite a lot lately (as I was torn between another harley or a custom bike, now I have my answer) and I just think that the money you save by going with a "cheaper sportster drive train doesn't make any sense, you can pick up complete drive lines for a decent price. I'd rather spend a few $K more and get the bigger bang, and for sure would go with a softtail!

I myself am looking at the 113", 124", 127" motors

But as Old fender Guy has stated, to each their own.....

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link so some hardtail struts from Licks Custom Cycles. http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=103

Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW them are some great looking Sportsters!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbsterkid7

I myself am looking at the 113", 124", 127" motors
If you're doing anything more than bar hopping... the 113 range is about all I'd go...

IMHO....[8D]

Charlie D.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
bobbsterkid7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah after some research and some advice I think my limit is going to be a 114", and I'll settle for a 110" Just not sure what brand to buy. Don't know much about TP, know about $&$ reputation and about Revtech, but not much about Ultima either