Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dreaded "Winter Storage" Threads..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: The Dreaded "Winter Storage" Threads..

If I remember right, Harley Davidson had Snowmobile in the 70s, correct me if I am wrong.
ORIGINAL: cHarley

Yep, not much longer now before the activity on the forum picks up cause the yanks will have nothing else to do, unless of course they have a snowmobile.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too much salt/gravel on the roads around here in the winter. Yes, there are the occasional days where it is nice enough to ride, but I'd rather not have to clean the bike after every ride so it doesn't rust to he**. Past seven years all I've done for winter storage is add the fuel stabilizer, and no battery tender---still on the original battery. It sits in my rec. room.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: 128auto

If I remember right, Harley Davidson had Snowmobile in the 70s, correct me if I am wrong.
Yup they did. I forget the name of the company they bought (Tomahawk?)to "diversify" but they also made boats - I think.

Anyway, there are some folks who just get too "wintered in" (snow, salt, frigid temperatures, ice, etc.)to take advantage of a very few scattered days when conditions are good enough (or not too bad) to ride, and to them I recommend winterizing their bike.

I am on the cusp of the weather band here in NJ that allows me more days to ride in the winter than those north of me, so I keep mybike gassed up and on a Battery Tender so I'm ready to go when conditionspermit, or I need a riding fix.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to winterize my Jeep last year. Poor thing hasn't been driven 300 miles in over 18 months. Winterize the Harley?? NOPE.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in Northeast Ohio (snowbelt) Winter can set in as early as late October and last until late March with snow in April not uncommon. Our annual snowfall is 150" a year. In January it can stay below zero for weeks on end. I dont winterize due to having a heated garage/workshop, but If I didn't you can bet I would winterize.
The amount of salt they use on the roads here is ridiculous, so no riding until the snow is gone and the rains have washed the roads clean.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM
NH1200C
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BLKXL12C

Yep winter sucks but it gives us time fix the little things without missing real riding time and cleaning/polishing to make them look new again. There is a great feeling when someone comes up to you and asks if it is new. NH1200C whos saddlebag do you have? I like'em
Thanks... they're HD rigid bags (PN 53050). I wanted something that I could lock up and they have worked out real well. The install on the bags went pretty quickly, I spent a bunch of time on the tail-light relocation however.

Larry

Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Harley snowmobile.......haven't seen one of those in ages. Did find a pic just now:

Old 10-12-2007, 09:54 PM
riverman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does depend on where you live I guess. I'm in SWMO and the only thing I do is put a tender on the battery. We usually get at least one day a month Dec/Jan/Feb when I can get the bike out for a couple of hours. The rest of the year we are good to go the majority of the time.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We get plenty of snow here. I agree with others about the salt and gravel. Unlike some of you, perhaps, we live a little farther from town where they don't plow sometimesat all. Or, if they do, they do a half-@$$ed job and you can barely drive your car through, let alone a bike.

My dad says a pastco-worker of his, a year-round BMW rider, put a side car on his bike so if it slid in the winter he wouldn't go down. Sounds like a pretty neat idea to me. Any of you guys with Electra Glides could do the same.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering only adding stablizer to the fuel tank,puting the battery tender on, and not changeing the oil till spring, because if there is a warm day and I want to ride I have contaminated the oil anyway.As far as miles are concerned its not due for a change.

Another thing the garage I will use is somewhat heated, but what I am concerned about is if the cage is in there and road slop is falling off, and melting there is bound to be moisture in the air, will that effect the bike,because I read all this stuff about covering the bike with a breathable cover, put a light bulb under it bla bla bla.

Tom

Quick Reply: The Dreaded "Winter Storage" Threads..