Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty 883R noise/sound HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 AM
djyoung214
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty 883R noise/sound HELP!

Hi everyone, I was hoping to find some answers here but I haven't been all that lucky.
I bought my first Harley, a 08 Sportster 883R, they're discontinued in the US but I'm here in S Korea so I was able to get one of them orange bandits. Anyhow, I'm pretty much finished breaking the thing in, about 900 kilometers so far and after about 500 km, I noticed a couple of sounds I'd never heard or noticed before on any other bikes.

When I'm going about 5 km/h like, just rolling, I pull the clutch lever and let it go and I hear a faint, "tuck" like a metal to metal contact sound. This only occurs at very low speeds like under 10 km/h, I spoke to a couple of people at Harley and they say it's normal. I was listening to the explanation the tech mech gave me and it pretty much made sense. It's just that it's the first time I've ever heard this noise. It is after all my first Harley.

This other sound occurs on 3rd, 4th and 5th. It sounds similar to the metal to metal contact sound that I noticed first. When I'm on 3rd, 4th and 5th and I suddenly release the throttle, I hear a faint "tuck" and when I pull the throttle again hard, I heard the same sound "tuck". It's not severe, it's barely noticeable I almost have to have my head right above the tank to hear it but I know it's there. You know what I mean?

Besides these two, the bike is awesome. I took it to the shop again and asked if that was normal and they say it's normal... I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, and I'm kinda worried, if it is the sound of metal to metal contact in the drivetrain or something, is it really normal? Wont that cause some additional wear and tear on the drivetrain components? Am I trippin'? HELP!

Thanks for reading this long *** post.
Ride Safe.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Default RE: Sporty 883R noise/sound HELP!

Its difficult to tell from your description what your problem is or, what you percieve to be a problem. Ride it. It's under warranty. Watch it. If it gets worse, they have you on record as to bringing it to there attention. Off hand, it sounds like your belt drive beginning to pull the bike forward. A normal type sound between the transmission and the rear wheel. There is a certain amount of play that can be adjusted. When it was brand spanking new, it was tight. Now, with a few miles under your belt, it may have loosened up some causing this sound that you are experiencing. The manual shows how to check the belt for possible adjustment needs and where to do this. .

Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It's only an educated guess but I would check the primary chain adjustment. They usually loosen up during the first 1000 miles.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure I've seen other posts on this forum somewhere abouta noise at low speed when the lever is released. I can't remember the conclusion, though think it was generally regarded as being "just one of those noises some Sportsters make". Primary drive adjustment has also been mentioned before as a suggested cause.

I haven't noticed this on my 883R, but maybe I just can't hear it over the rattle and chatter from the top-end, which again I enderstand to be "just something you get with aSportster" .

Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

To Simon: You're right. My 883 clatters like there's no tomorrow. That's how I know she's doing fine. Love that valve train.