Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice little bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM
JC Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice little bike

I was at the local bike shop the other day and I was complaining about the high winds we have had lately (two weeks long). I said the tires felt like they were low as the wind pushed me around. One of the guys siad YEAH that's happens when you ride a little bike.
(2005 XL 1200C).

What's up with that comment ? Most other bikes only weigh maybe, just maybe 100 lbs more. Heck I weigh 230, so me and my bike equal the weight of that little guy and his Big Twin. I get tired of the it's a girls bike,/little bike. I was a special ops pilot in the Army (20 yrs, retired ) and a grunt in Viet Nam. I think the next guy that says that, I am gonna show him my little girls fist.

Anybody else have this problem or is it just my attitude ?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nice little bike

I act like the comments and opinions don't bother me, but they do start to bother me, like the guy who said to me the other day that the Sportster is a "nice starter bike." 1200cc's is not a starter bike. If you want to call it a "starter Harley," be my guest, because it is at the bottom of HD's model line, but don't call it a "starter bike."

Oh well, there's nothing we can do to change the world's opinions. We'll just have to live with 'em.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JC Rider

I was at the local bike shop the other day and I was complaining about the high winds we have had lately (two weeks long). I said the tires felt like they were low as the wind pushed me around. One of the guys siad YEAH that's happens when you ride a little bike.
(2005 XL 1200C).

What's up with that comment ? Most other bikes only weigh maybe, just maybe 100 lbs more. Heck I weigh 230, so me and my bike equal the weight of that little guy and his Big Twin. I get tired of the it's a girls bike,/little bike. I was a special ops pilot in the Army (20 yrs, retired ) and a grunt in Viet Nam. I think the next guy that says that, I am gonna show him my little girls fist.

Anybody else have this problem or is it just my attitude ?
Well... it is the small Harley, but that doesn't mean its lesser in any way. What people fail to realize about the Sporty is its purpose when compared to a big twin. Its quick, nimble, raw motorcycle. Just ask'em to race down a twisty road, next time.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
tjbintz
Cruiser

Yep, I get that from mostly non-riders who have no clue, but they sure will wear HD attire like they are seasoned vets. But I also seem to get that attitude from bikers that ride older baggers and tend to follow the Easyrider lifestyle. Even Easyrider magazine doesn't give Sporties a break either, and most of their readers think that Sporties are girls bikes or beginners bikes. I have found that many riders won't wave to me when they see it's a Sporty; but when I ride my Wide Glide, these same jerks will wave to me like I'm an old friend. What ever happened to the fellowship of the riders, regardless of what you ride? The worst comments I've ever had, which ended up in fights were from BMW riders. Ehhhh, they seem to be the snobbiest riders I've ever encountered.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

My attitude with guys like that is, "...everything else in Harley's line-up is a trainer forthe Sportster. You just wish you were good enough to handle one and ride the road the way it was meant to be ridden on a motorcycle. Maybe someday you'll be a good enough riderto graduate from that "motorhome" and ridetheSportster, a real motorcycle."

Notice: This is my attitude towardsPEOPLE who say things like you heard, or "it's a girl's bike, or it's a trainer, etc". - it is NOT a slam on any other bike.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when mine was given to me, he did say he didnt use it anymore and that it is a great starter bike as well. but he gave it some credit, he bragged about how well it kept up with and passed his at times. so i guess "small" was meant phsysically. i feel like a giant on it, but its fast as hell

Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

People who say that to me often get an invitation: "Let's run 'em".... It's amazing how quickly they back down.... I guess getting beaten by a "girls bike" would be just too much for a fragile ego likethat to take.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Mouser
Intermediate

When I told the HD dealer salesman when asked how long I have been riding, I said not very long. Then he said, yea that sportster your getting is a nice starter bike. I did not think much of it but it is not the reason I like the bike. Also I went to blockbuster yesterday on the motorcycle and a dude on a bike was passing by ( Bicycle ), and said " Nice bike man is that an 883? " and I said no its a 1200. Then he said " Nice bike man but id have to put the pedals about where the front wheel is if I was gona ride it " and I said " cool " and I walked off. The way he said it made it seem like he thought it was a low end small bike. I agree the bike is small but its Suppose to be small and not a whale but more like an old school sportsbike.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't get that crap from anyone. Maybe because I dress like I can kick their asses.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM
evilscotsman
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the stealer refers to a Sporty as a "starter" bike, they are really referring to the beginning, or "start", if you will, of their dipping their grubby little paws into you billfold (or purse for all the ladies). The Sportster is Harley's dirty little secret. They unknowingly gave us an affordable, nimble, well-handling, throttle monster that is unmatched with regards to riding enjoyment and power. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them do away with the 1200 series except for the Nighty, so they can up the cost of it forcing us into the larger models for satisfaction. That's my .02 cents. Damn, I've gotta' quit drinking and posting. I hope you guys can make some sense of what I'm getting at here.[sm=icon_guiness.gif] If not, at least I tried!!

Quick Reply: Nice little bike