Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice little bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nice little bike

ORIGINAL: JC Rider
I was at the local bike shop the other day and I was complaining about the high winds we have had lately (two weeks long). I said the tires felt like they were low as the wind pushed me around. One of the guys siad YEAH that's happens when you ride a little bike.
(2005 XL 1200C).
What's funny is how much the delivery is the obnoxious part of statements like this. The guys statement was true, in a sense, but he just had to be obnoxious in how he phrased it. That being said, however, I'll take the Sportster any day when I'm hitting the curves since I can really lean into them with it, whereas I've scraped the floorboards quite a few times on my Springer now as I discover I can't lean quite as much on it.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One day I noticed a 2000 Dyna Superglide for sale in a nearby town. I went over to see it, and parked next to it. The owner of the Dyna said, "Hey your Sportster looks bigger than my Dyna". Quite true. Many "bigger" Harleys look squat when next to a Sportster. Ever notice?

Now I just grab a handful of throttle whenever I get the urge to look at a Dyna or a Harley sofa. This bike is plenty quick. My .02.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
AndyV2000
Cruiser

I've owned 2 sportsters ~ loved'm both; mainly I didn't like the vibration but I hear they're rubber mounted now and are basically Buells on a cruiser frame. Only reason I wouldn't buy one today, and build a 100 hp engine, is because they don't have a 6th gear. Great bikes!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Dorkman
I went over to see it, and parked next to it. The owner of the Dyna said, "Hey your Sportster looks bigger than my Dyna". Quite true. Many "bigger" Harleys look squat when next to a Sportster. Ever notice?
This is a good point. It's funny seeing a Sportster next to a Softail. From the side, especially, the Sportster looks a lot bigger.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jwb47... you nailed it...

Since I've done all the work to mine... I usually have to tell them it's a Sportster...

Pisses me off too...

Charlie D.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

ORIGINAL: Dorkman
I went over to see it, and parked next to it. The owner of the Dyna said, "Hey your Sportster looks bigger than my Dyna". Quite true. Many "bigger" Harleys look squat when next to a Sportster. Ever notice?
This is a good point. It's funny seeing a Sportster next to a Softail. From the side, especially, the Sportster looks a lot bigger.
It does?

I never noticed that, even though my 1200C had a 8" over extended 41mm frontend.

The Sportster looked 'taller', but I wouldn't say that it looked 'bigger'. If the Sportster had the stock frontend the difference would be even more noticeable.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

Old fender guy,.............Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
jusride
Advanced

About a month ago I was "this close" to trading my '05 1200C in on a new '07 RKC -- Glad I didn't. After reading the touring posts, I think all I would've gotten was a more expensive bike with gravel gears with a sloss furnace under the seat. Of course, that could've all been remedied (at my expense) for around another $2k. To be honest, I don't ride cross countryevery weekend. With both the wife and I working and a couple of curtain climbers I wouldn't get the use out of a touring bike. The Sportster is a great bike for going downtown to the watering hole and bolting back to the house. 'Never have gotten a negative comment about the ride. As for being a "beginner" bike -- I'm 34yrs. old and got my first dirt bike at 9.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
why_me
Cruiser

I almost feel like I have done the Sportster a dis-service by buying it as my first bike. I knew what I wanted and got it, but I feel like I am perpetuating the sigma that comes with the Sporty. Sorry guys.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
jusride
Advanced

No apology needed here. Hey, I know a couple of guys that bought their big bikes earlier this year and now their complaining that they don't have the $$ to buy a windshield, rip off the stock pipes. And me? I've got most of the accessories I need/want and I can add to that tomorrow if I wanted. When the time is right, I'll probably have another bike for the longer hauls but I'm keeping my Sporty. You're not perpetuating anything -- just owning and riding a bike you wanted. Its the uneducated and the RUB's that do the hasslin'.
Short story--'saw a guy the other day driving an Escalade with a big HD sticker on the back window. Give me a break! Probably has a RK ridden 150mi. this year sitting in the 3-car garage. Knowing the dude would trailer toSturgis or Daytona if hewas more than50 miles away.

Quick Reply: Nice little bike