Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage one upgrade question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 PM
mystery HD employee
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage one upgrade question...

OK I've installed a high flow air filter and put on the Screaming Eagle slipons on my 2006 1200C. My question is it is worth upgrading to the screaming eagle ignition, coil and plug wires? Will it improve the performance anymore than I already have with the changes I already made. My usual driving is at around 70 to 80 miles an hour to and from work.

HD

Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Default RE: Stage one upgrade question...

remembering my hot rod days, way back when, there's nothing to be gained from the hotter spark until you get compression over 10-1. I doubt you've experience any bog downs or misfires with what you have now. Did you rejet?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 PM
mystery HD employee
Novice

Yep did the rejet and I'm really happy with the performance results as well as the sound of the Screaming Eagle pipes.

HD

Old 12-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which pipes did you get i just bought se balony cut and ever since i bought them all i have heard from people is they are no louder than stock and it is about to kill me because my dad bought them for me for x mas and i have no patience i really want to know how they sound good or bad.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:25 AM
mystery HD employee
Novice

I purchased the screaming eagle II's slash down and there's no doubt about it that they are much louder than the stock pipes and look great. I can definatly feel the increase in HP but I don't have access to a dyno to check it out. If it's any help one of the pipes is enagraved with screaming eagle on the side vs other pipes I saw that had Harley Davidson engraving on them. I don't know if there's a difference or not. I work for Harley but I work helping to build engines for the 883 and 1200 so I'm not an expert on exhaust systems.

I really like the way the pipes sound when I get over 65 miles an hour.

HD

Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past you wouldn't have benefited from a new ignitition module, but these new sportsters can actually gain some hp with a new module. That was found out my NHRS by accident. If I was to get one, then I would go with a tc88a. You just have to decide if it's worth the money for a couple hp. It does allow to tune a lot of things, but you need to know what you're doing.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shift...If you have the Screamn Eagle II pipes, which I am thinking you do, you should hear the difference. They are loud, but not ear busters. To many riders, they are a happy median. If they have Screamin Eagle engraved on them, they are the louder ones. HD makes another set that say Harley on them and from what I have heard, they are not as loud. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good Question Mystery HD....I was actually wondering the same thing. The dealer told me there was no reason for the SE ignition unless I was going with Stage II upgrades. I dont ride that fast anyway so I guess I'll be ok. 70-80 on these Sportsters daily must be quite an adventure. Good luck and ride safe out there.....

Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 AM
mystery HD employee
Novice

Thanks for all the info. I might just hold off for a little bit on the ignition change. Now I just need the temp to get back over 30 degrees so I can get back riding. I also changed to the sundowner seat so it really makes for a pleasent ride at those interstate speeds.

HD

Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past you wouldn't have benefited from a new ignitition module, but these new sportsters can actually gain some hp with a new module. That was found out my NHRS by accident.
What is NHRS??

I might just hold off for a little bit on the ignition change. Now I just need the temp to get back over 30 degrees so I can get back riding.
How big an ignition modual do I need to melt this?

4-8" of nasty
still fallin
Time to go get the plow[:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Stage one upgrade question...