Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage one upgrade question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage one upgrade question...

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

You can gain or lose hp with any engine's ignition timing curve. Thats nothing new, I doubt NRHS found out that on "accident". It all depends on how well the ignition map is dialed into the engine on hand. Daytona Twin tecs TC88A modle is nice and a good buy for the money but if Im going to be doing an all out performance build with a carbureted motor I would choose S&S's IST ignition as a first choice. It is hands down the best iginition module on the market. Its $$$, but worth every penny.

MegaHD....That S&S ignition mod sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to look into it. I would assume if it's installed and setup right, I wouldn't loose any HP, right? So in your opinion, will you actually feel the difference when riding the bike? Sounds like it might be worth the money....

Hey brother. The IST is THE IGNITION MODULE TO HAVE if your serious into performance, and want a perfect ignition curve for your bike. The IST is dialed in for maximum performance. It basically learns as you ride.It advances your ignition curve as far as possible before it dectects spark knock. Once it detects spark knock it backs off until it is eliminated. Many times I have found that on average a few ponies would be picked up with the unit. It takes all the guess work out of the ignition map. It allows you to fully concentrate on the afr of your carb. Makes tuning really fun and gives immediate rewards.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

Those mufflers are catalyst muffers. Does your '06 have a catalyst on it? That is something new for the Sportsters as '05 models do not have a catalyst. I read the only catalyst equiped models for '06 would be the California models. You might want to double check what you have on your bike...
[/quote]
Sorry for that these are the exact one's i got i don't know if there is a difference http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=1548

Old 12-14-2005, 03:02 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you MegaHDman. I got a 05 1200r sportster running a Mikuni hr43 carb, rinehart pipes, Doherty A/C assembly and a twintec TC88A ignition module. I got the module set for the performance setting when using premium fuel. Not sure of the exact settings as Im at work, sorry.

Anyway Ive notice the bike runs fine when cold But once its all warmed up nice and toasty I get a slight pinging when taking off from a redlight. Does this indicate the timing is to far advanced or too far retarded. If others know the answer to this feel free to chime in.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

LV

Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

My guess would be that it is slightly advanced causing the plugs to fire slightly before they should in compression. Pinging is generally caused by a premature introduction of gas to the combustion chamber and results in a less than complete combustion before TDC is reached by the piston.

Others on the forum will give you better answers for sure, but those are my thoughts. Good luck with the cure - sounds like you've got all of the ingredients for a really great set-up!

Thumper26

Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shift_4lo

Sorry for that these are the exact one's i got i don't know if there is a difference http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=1548

Shift..those are sweet pipes. You will love them! They are the SEII's like we previously mentioned those are the deeper sounding of the after-market HD pipes. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Question for you MegaHDman. I got a 05 1200r sportster running a Mikuni hr43 carb, rinehart pipes, Doherty A/C assembly and a twintec TC88A ignition module. I got the module set for the performance setting when using premium fuel. Not sure of the exact settings as Im at work, sorry.

Anyway Ive notice the bike runs fine when cold But once its all warmed up nice and toasty I get a slight pinging when taking off from a redlight. Does this indicate the timing is to far advanced or too far retarded. If others know the answer to this feel free to chime in.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

LV
Um "performance setting" What exactly does that mean? Are you saying you have the initial and advance at 5-5??? First off, those "settings" as described in the instructions of the TC88A are based off a Twin cam engine, not an XL1200. I would drop the settings to about 1-1 until you get a proper tune. QUick and easy way to tune the TC88A by the dials is to first off, dial the settings in on a very hot day, 2nd get the bike rolling and drop it into 5th and do a gradual throttle roll on to maximise the load the motor will see. If the bike starts pinging below about 4000rpms then drop the initial dial back until the pinging dissapears, if its pinging over 4000 then drop back the advance until it stops. If its around 4000 then drop em both back. Also, make sure you get that TC88A calibrated for your bike too. The speedo is calibrated for a Twin cam engine.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

sounds like you've got all of the ingredients for a really great set-up!

Thumper26

Thanks Thumper

Added to that mix is a Full 1200S Suspension, SE Fork Brace, and eventually full floating brake rotors.
Can you say 1200RS , O' Ya baby....

Lv

Old 12-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

LordVngr,

WOW an XL1200RS - I never thought of it that way! I had the 1200S shocks on the back of my 2005 XL1200R for about 300 miles and LOVED them - what a fantastic difference over stock! I had to go back to the originals though because I mounted bags (have to have some carry room) with the "Easy Bracket" and the resevoir cylinders on the 1200S shocks were in the way. I really do miss those 1200S shocks! Your ride is sweeter than I thought!

Thumper26

Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

LordVngr,

WOW an XL1200RS - I never thought of it that way! I had the 1200S shocks on the back of my 2005 XL1200R for about 300 miles and LOVED them - what a fantastic difference over stock! I had to go back to the originals though because I mounted bags (have to have some carry room) with the "Easy Bracket" and the resevoir cylinders on the 1200S shocks were in the way. I really do miss those 1200S shocks! Your ride is sweeter than I thought!

Thumper26

Thanks dude. Yep, the shocks are a Major Impovement over stock. Same with the Forks. The bike is Rock Solid in corners. Understand about the bags. What happened to your shocks, did you sell them. The suspension is probably the Best Part of my bike. I just Luv it. Later..

LV

Old 12-14-2005, 11:12 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

Um "performance setting" What exactly does that mean? Are you saying you have the initial and advance at 5-5??? First off, those "settings" as described in the instructions of the TC88A are based off a Twin cam engine, not an XL1200. I would drop the settings to about 1-1 until you get a proper tune. QUick and easy way to tune the TC88A by the dials is to first off, dial the settings in on a very hot day, 2nd get the bike rolling and drop it into 5th and do a gradual throttle roll on to maximise the load the motor will see. If the bike starts pinging below about 4000rpms then drop the initial dial back until the pinging dissapears, if its pinging over 4000 then drop back the advance until it stops. If its around 4000 then drop em both back. Also, make sure you get that TC88A calibrated for your bike too. The speedo is calibrated for a Twin cam engine.
The TC88A is currently setup with initial timing of 5 and an advance slope of 7. The instructions call for this for a stock slighty modified motor running 92 or higher octane. 5 & 5 is for stock motors running pump gas. 2 & 2 is for high compression motors. Understand about it being for big twins But 1 & 1 ?

The bike actually runs pretty good and only has a slight ping on takeoff when the motor is Fully warmed. I havent done Any tuning since putting the parts on. I think it's running rich. I'd love to have it dialed in using a dyno but at 250-300 i'm not sure its worth it. Wonder what type horsepower she is making.

Even in Florida we can forget Hot days for now. What do you mean get the bike rolling. what speed, what rpm. Your not talking about lugging the motor right.

Forgot about the speedo thing. If its off it's by no more then 5mph. I bet the right shop could dial that in too. I think there is a Harley Specific dyno/hipo place across the bay in St. petersburg. Now that I think about it I bet the cold weather can affect the dyno runs And the Final Tune too. Thanks for your advice...

LV

Quick Reply: Stage one upgrade question...