Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run-in with Sportster basher

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run-in with Sportster basher

I know we should just ignore the ****ing ignorance of non-Sportster types and I am always a very passive, mellow typebut I snapped tonight at the local watering hole. An obvious old-time biker apparently admired my bike in the parking lot and approached me at the bar "Hey man, good looking Sportster, I like the way you worked it over". With that, a guy a few stools down chimes in "you mean that black SKIRTSTER parked out front, come on.....". So I lean over across the bar "What do YOU ride?" "nothing, I have a family now - but I used to have a Sportster and it was slow as hell, didnt get out of its own way, and revved 8000 RPM on the highway". We exchanged a few not so nice words of sentiment and dropped it but I'm just sick and tired of these people not realizing that Sportsters are the backbone of the HD legacy, not to mention representing the raw performance of HD that exists today.

Sportsters don't have "stereos" "air vents" "cruise control" "intercoms" - therefore, they are raw HD!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Run-in with Sportster basher

Interesting....

I know quite a few guys that have ridden Sportsters for years, and none of them have ever mentioned a problem with other riders 'bashing' their bikes.

Most seasoned Harley owners have owned Sportsters in the past (or still currently own one), and I can't imagine any of them 'bashing' or 'bad mouthing' any Sportster.

Guess we just run in different crowds...

Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont sweat the non riders....they are losers.Why didnt you remind the guy that his wife made him sell his bike, then watch the other bikers loss total respect for him.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

8000 RPM in top gear on the highway would work out to about 175 miles an hour, sounds pretty fast to me!
Maybe he didn't know how to change gears and spent the whole time in first, no wonder it was slow.
A moron is a moron weather on a bike, in a boat, in a car, or sittin in a bar, ignore him, it's not worth the effort.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Dont sweat the non riders....they are losers.Why didnt you remind the guy that his wife made him sell his bike, then watch the other bikers loss total respect for him.
Classic

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM
rwjjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read things like this often here,I' ve never had anything but positive comments on both ofmine.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Redsman777
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had one comment from another HD rider. A guy that comes into my work walked by while a coworker and myself were looking at my bike made a comment of why didn't I buy areal Harley. I just shrugged it off. He then came back outside and proceeded to tell me he had a 2003 Sportster for sale because he had just bought a super glide. I wanted to ask him why he bought a wanna be big twin just to burn him, but I just ignoredit and let him walk off. Most of the real riders I have come across look at the bike and always make positive comments on it.

The only thing that really matters is that I like it and its mine.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speaking of SuperGlides....

That is what the girlfriend rides....

Had a guy the other day say..."Isnt that sweet, he's letting her ride his bike."

beep, beep, beep, beep yourself!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I often get customers who say something like, "I like the Sportster, but my buddy says it's a girls bike." I just calmly give them a little history lesson and then ask them if their buddy would like to run his"guys bike against my girl's bike..".... This usually produces a laugh..... I have had many big twin owners pullup to the line next to my Sportie and just allow me to roll out first..... hmmmm..... Don't wanna get beaten by a girl's bike? [8D]

Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Silly rabbit.....

Harley's aren't for 'acceleration bragging rights', they are for cruising.

Quick Reply: Run-in with Sportster basher