Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster is top heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sportster is top heavy?

I keep hearing people say this about Sportsters. I tried many other bikes before I bought my Sporty. I triend Honda Shadows, V-Stars and other Harleys.

A few may have sat lower, but were not as comfortable for me. The Shadow and V-Stars felt more top heavy with their larger gas tanks then the Sportster does to me. Granted, I am tall at 6'4".

Overall, with the peanut tanks, lower seat and controls I don not find the Sportster top heavy in the least, actually the opisate.

Opinions?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sportster is top heavy?

Yeah, I think you're wrong, but its the harley line up most times, BMWs are top heavy also and so are triumphs
the shadow feels less top heavy to me and so does the vulcan...Comfort has nothing to do with the top heavy aspect, ecept lower center of grav does fell a little more comfy to me....
I didnt buy my bike for comfort tho.
ORIGINAL: Kolni

I keep hearing people say this about Sportsters. I tried many other bikes before I bought my Sporty. I triend Honda Shadows, V-Stars and other Harleys.

A few may have sat lower, but were not as comfortable for me. The Shadow and V-Stars felt more top heavy with their larger gas tanks then the Sportster does to me. Granted, I am tall at 6'4".

Overall, with the peanut tanks, lower seat and controls I don not find the Sportster top heavy in the least, actually the opisate.

Opinions?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My last bike was a 2003 Suzuki, VS1400 Intruder and it felt a lot more "top heavy" than my 2006 XL 1200C Sportster.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine feels pretty low. May go lower..

Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Really depends on what model Harley you are comparing the Sportster against.

The Sportsters and Dynas give me the feeling that you are sitting 'on' the bike, while with the Softails and their lower seating height you feel like you are sitting 'in' the bike.

No big deal when you are moving at speed, but when you are 'duck walking' the bike backwards into a tight parking place or something like that the difference in the center of gravity is noticeable.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 PM
fkstk181
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta agree with OldFenderGuy (I usually do) I think as far as Harley's go, the Sportster compared to other Harley models is indeed "top heavy" I have ridden my brothers FXR and while it outweights my sportster by at least 200 lbs (not sure of the exact weight) it was so much lower that it "felt" like a lighter bike. I am 6'2" so perhaps with taller riders the sportster doesn't feel like it would to a shorter rider, but who knows....

Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

The Sportster is not top-heavy. I don't know where people get this. Perhaps they don't have experience with actual top-heavy motorcycles.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

The Sportster is not top-heavy. I don't know where people get this. Perhaps they don't have experience with actual top-heavy motorcycles.
Maybe not compared to other makes of bikes, but I base my opinionfrom owning and riding just about every model of Harley over the past 37+ years.

But then again, what do I know.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I like that feeling of sitting "on" a bike instead of sitting "in" it, I have to sit "in" a cage for six months of winter so come summerI want "on" something, that's one of the reasons I don't like a windshield, just makes me feel "in" if you know what I mean.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno about metric bikes, but compared to other Harleys, yes the Sportsters are top heavy. Like OFG said, once you're underway, it doesn't matter. But when moving around in and out of the garage, parking lots..etc etc...The bike can feel more heavy than a big-twin.

Quick Reply: Sportster is top heavy?