Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster is top heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Sportster is top heavy?

PS...why do we even comment after OFG speaks...He's always dead on target... You're still my hero man!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

PS...why do we even comment after OFG speaks...He's always dead on target... You're still my hero man!
Well how muchare those nice wordsgoing to cost me?

Let me know and the check will be in the mail.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM
TheKingsOutlaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a VStar 650 Classic and loved it. I did lower the suspension by 2 1/2" and shave the seat for another 3/4" (I like 'em LOW), but even from stock I felt pretty stable with a low center of gravity. The Sporty makes me feel like I'm in an SUV, I'm up so high. Don't get me wrong, I love the way she handles. And I will ALWAYS cherish my time on my Sporty. But when I can afford to get into a Road King, I most certainly will.

TKO

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Well how muchare those nice wordsgoing to cost me?

Let me know and the check will be in the mail.
Consider it your payment for the "heads up" on the really good deal on goggles a few weeks ago.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I have set on the Heritage vs. my Sportser and the Sportser does feel a bit top heavy to me in comparison. However, no one told me that the Sportster was top heavy when I bought it and learned to ride it with no riding experience, so I guess, because I didn't know the differnceit just didn't matter to me.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOP HEAVY??? You never rode anything as top heavy as a Suzuki Gavalcade, we called them Cavacow's

Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: BLKXL12C

TOP HEAVY??? You never rode anything as top heavy as a Suzuki Gavalcade, we called them Cavacow's
Year or so ago I did some 'wheeling & dealing', and in the end was given a brand new Kawasaki KLR 650 as partial payment.

Only kept it for a month or so, but probably put a 100 miles or so on it during that time.

I've never seen anything as top heavy as that KLR 650, and I think the seat height was 35 inches, or something like that. I have a 34 inch inseam, and could hardly 'flat foot' the bike when sitting on it.

But, from what I gather many people ride long miles each day on these KLR's, take them from the Artic Circle to South American, etc... Better them than me.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a KAW 1000 for 5 years and that baby is one top heavy bike. if you ever got it past 30 degrees while it was stopped it was going over or you was fixin to pull a nut string...
ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: BLKXL12C

Year or so ago I did some 'wheeling & dealing', and in the end was given a brand new Kawasaki KLR 650 as partial payment.

Only kept it for a month or so, but probably put a 100 miles or so on it during that time.

I've never seen anything as top heavy as that KLR 650, and I think the seat height was 35 inches, or something like that. I have a 34 inch inseam, and could hardly 'flat foot' the bike when sitting on it.

But, from what I gather many people ride long miles each day on these KLR's, take them from the Artic Circle to South American, etc... Better them than me.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser

I think it's all about the feeling about your bike,
I find my 883R not heavy at all. I sat on a FAT BOY and found it pretty light too... On the other hand I sat on a Softail Custom and found that one REALLY heavy... Never sat on a Triumph or BMW anyways,
Ride safe !!
Patrick

Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
blujeanbabee
Intermediate

I'd have to agree .. but then again ... at 110 pounds, an oversized Schwinn would feel top heavy!

Quick Reply: Sportster is top heavy?