Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a windshield, have ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default Thinking about a windshield, have ??

How does the wind blast from an oncomming truck or wind gustaffect your steering with a fork mounted windshield? It seems like it would be a problem.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
CyclChyk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking about a windshield, have ??

I have a quick detach windshield that mounts to the fork. Love it love it -it definately makes the ride more enjoyable. The bike is much more manageable.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it does not affect it. When you are cruising along at speed, the wind hits straight on. I have the super sport windshield.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that the wind blast actually hits your bodyharder without the windshield. Like wbogley said, the wind hits straight on. I'm pretty much full time with mine on now.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
hogsport
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the Quick attach and it makes freeway driving much better. Without it I feel like I have a midget on my back trying to rip my f(*&g helmet off once I get over 60. The truck wind wash has much less effect with also. Doubt that I do much highway/freeway driving without mine. the bike looks cooler without the skield though.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed.. As I've posted several times before, I prefer the looks of a bike without the shield, but there are definite benefits to having a shield on. I usually use mine during the week for the commute to work - especially now that the morning temps are a bit lower. I tend to remove iton the weekends. There is such a huge difference in the comfort level, particularly on the slab. Don't notice a big difference in the buffering around the 18 wheelers on the highway. If anything, it's easier to manage with the shield.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought and put on the new quick-detachable touring windshield (that just came out in September I think) and it works great. I find I don't get those blasts from trucks with it on because the shield flexes instead of you moving (which then in turn normally would move the bike). Oh, and don't worry about wind. I rode on the highway with the quick-detachable and it didn't affect handling at all.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

If the shield is mounted properly, it won't affect handling at all. If it's not aligned correctly, it will definitely have handling issues at speed. Fortunately, HD has has a few things right with the shields, especially the quick detach. Easy on, easy off, and it fits right the first time. I am having some items put on my bike right now...QD Compact, Low Profile Windshield is one of them. Seldomn a day goes by I don't ride at least partially on the slab.

Teek

Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Teek

If the shield is mounted properly, it won't affect handling at all. If it's not aligned correctly, it will definitely have handling issues at speed. Fortunately, HD has has a few things right with the shields, especially the quick detach. Easy on, easy off, and it fits right the first time. I am having some items put on my bike right now...QD Compact, Low Profile Windshield is one of them. Seldomn a day goes by I don't ride at least partially on the slab.

Teek
LMAO. You're PAYING to have them put that on?!? That is literally FIVE minutes of work including opening the box. It takes the tightening offour bolts to get it together.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

What's a windshield?

Quick Reply: Thinking about a windshield, have ??