Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a windshield, have ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about a windshield, have ??

Thank's for the replies, Seems like a windshield would be a good thing on longer runs. Off for around home ,on for trips.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teek
Yeah, and they're putting onanother seat, too! That's a total of ONE bolt! Side stand extension, slip on mufflers, QDbackrest and mounts,and 11" Progressive 412's. And the 1k service. I figure while they're putting themufflers and shocks on, and doing the 1k service, they can do the other stuff, too. Especially since I live in an apartment, have limited tools, limited space,have to park the bike a distance away frommy apartment,and I won'tevenbe in the countrythis comingMonday!It's a win-win for me...I don't have to worry about anything, and the bike's safetill I come back on Oct. 18th.
Ah. That's a shame you can't do the work yourself.We don't take our bikes in after the 1k service for anything. We've put on a tach, Progressive shocks, QD windshield, QD backrest, seat, light kit, and pegs. Now we're about to do the A/C, slip-ons, and Fuel Pak.

After I recently changed the oil filter and oil in my Yamaha XT dual purpose bike, I realized how trust-less dealers can be. They never changed the oil filter at all on the 600 mile service for that bike. There were metal shards completely covering the whole filter. That's why we do our own work on our bikes.

But seriously, the QD stuff cracks me up. Might as well have it done while it's there I guess.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a quick detach weenie shield. The best thing about it, is the "Quick Detach" feature. I only use it if I'm gonna travel above 70 mph for a distance of more than about 50 miles. It will probably be nice this winter also. I didn't have it last winter.

I don't find the wind from trucks to be much of a problem. But cross winds with the weenie shield are a different story. They can grab that sucker just like a sail on a boat.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM
mejonesrebel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I have a quick detach weenie shield. The best thing about it, is the "Quick Detach" feature. I only use it if I'm gonna travel above 70 mph for a distance of more than about 50 miles. It will probably be nice this winter also. I didn't have it last winter.

I don't find the wind from trucks to be much of a problem. But cross winds with the weenie shield are a different story. They can grab that sucker just like a sail on a boat.
DITTO

got mine after i had the bike a year, it is a different experience altogether

you can actually go on a long ride on the highway, and get off feeling fresh, not like you been whiteknuckling your handlebars and holding on for dear life

no if i am just cruising around town, no windshield, highway, interstate, freeway, superslab whatever you wanna call it, definietly have the windshield

the truck blast is no biggie, but like sp says the crosswinds take a little gettin used ta

Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 272 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah Im a wuss too have the HD detach .. wouldnt ride without it. Prolly shoulda just got the perm mounted.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Well. I have riden my Harleys foralmost 10,000 miles in a year without a friggen windshield.
Come play in Michigan big guy in ohhh say ..... Dec.,Jan, or Feb!!! Gets to be a damn cold windchill at 29-30degrees with all the moisture in the air from our local "humidifiers".

Windshield is a must! Sooo, what the he!! is the "feels like" temp at 30degrees with a humidity of 11,200,456%???

All I can say is it lengthens my riding season.....wussy or not...

I have been called worse

Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Riding in the left side of the lane gets you a blast from an oncoming truck. Just slip over to the right side of the lane and its hardly noticeable. Works for me...

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

Riding in the left side of the lane gets you a blast from an oncoming truck. Just slip over to the right side of the lane and its hardly noticeable. Works for me...
Whut??

Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 AM
towboattrash34
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got tired of getting sandblasted among other things....so i bought 1 for me and 1 for the wife.... on long rides or interstate we love them on short runs we take them off....on the interstate it sure makes it easer to hang on going 70 + for long periods