Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on detachable saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM
gmaines
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on detachable saddlebags

have a question for you all, my wife has a 07, 1200 sporster low, we wanted to get leather saddlebags that were detachable, Harley dealer put on The Express Rider but now they say there are no detachable bags made for the 07 sportster, it looks like the catalog say they do, but they are claiming it is only for a sissy bar, all bags are not detachable, unless you have a wrench and 10 minutes, is this right? thanks for your help.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help on detachable saddlebags

Almost any bag can be made detachable using www.easybrackets.com or www.ghostbrackets.com but what I found I do not like about them is that they stick off so far. A detacheable set of bags that I'm looking at getting this winter are www.leatherpros.com which have their own detachable system and are molded to fit around the shock while still having lots of room and they're made exceptionally well, in fact they are carried by a number of harley dealers. As for harley bags, I cannot recall which ones but some of them depending upon the docking hardware kit and if you have a detachable backrest already are detachachable.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

You've got a nice looking Lowrider by the way....

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 PM
gmaines
Intermediate

Thanks, I just got through putting forward controls, mustang solo seat and detachable saddlebags on my lowrider, will try out the new stuff this weekend... nice seat on your, who made it?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The leatherpros are pricey, butI feel that they were worth it. I haven't had any problems with mine and they look great on or off.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: capttawes
A detacheable set of bags that I'm looking at getting this winter are www.leatherpros.com which have their own detachable system and are molded to fit around the shock while still having lots of room and they're made exceptionally well, in fact they are carried by a number of harley dealers.
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of these for my Softail on Tuesday. It's been a long process of trying to decide which to go with, but the LeatherPros seem to be good quality, while not quite as crazy expensive as the Boss Bags are. I'm really looking forward to getting these bags on since I'm planning a trip next month.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: gmaines

Thanks, I just got through putting forward controls, mustang solo seat and detachable saddlebags on my lowrider, will try out the new stuff this weekend... nice seat on your, who made it?
That seat is actually the HD sundowner. I had a mustang for at least 6-8,000 miles and never really liked the look of the one for the sportster and the fact that it raised me up about an 1" and back a little. The reason I swithced was that the Mrs. hated the Mustang pillion and would not ride with me except round town. I still use the stock seat when riding w/o the backrest or shield on, also have a bobber style seat but seldom use that.
I'm looking fwd. to getting some LP bags but since they're $$$ they will have to wait awhile.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leatherpros...
nice bags! can hear it already...

No, sorry honey, we did not get a tax return this year...

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ride2tires
No, sorry honey, we did not get a tax return this year...
Heh, seriously. The darn things cost about as much as two monthy payments on the motorcycle. However, I want the storage on multiday trips, and want the mounting to be solid so what're you gonna do?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen, the LeatherPros are very good bags, and extremely sturdy. Cheaper than the factory bags, too. I'll be getting a set in about three weeks.

Quick Reply: Help on detachable saddlebags