Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner: Sportster vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
VinUnleaded
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner: Sportster vs Dyna

If you all could help me out with my issue, I would be grateful, please give me your opinions...

I used to own a Dyna SuperGlide, it was my first bike ever.
When the salesman fitted me for a bike, the VROD, Sportster, and Dyna all felt pretty good.
I am 6' 200lbs and somewhat athletic, but felt like a skinny, weak, frail wimp on the Softtails and Larger.
You could say I was very intimdated by the size and weight of the largerbikes.
I stayed away from Sportsters even though they felt really good, mainly because I knew they were top heavy.
Thus, I went with the Dyna, and I felt that although heavier, its lower center of gravity would be easier on my legs and knees (bad).
The first problem is that all the bikes except the VROD and Sportster seem to spread my legs so wide, that I feel unbalanced.
When I sit on a Sportster, I feel I can better brace the bike, as my legs seem closer together.
Now I realize my fears and concerns with the Dyna or larger deal mainly with the bike when its at rest, i.e. a stop sign or light, and ignore the issue of being top heavy, i.e. at slow speeds such as in a parking lot.
So what do I do?
Which is a better beginner bike "for me"?
I had a bad experience on my Dyna in that I found the torque would get me by surprise sometimes, thus my takeoffs were ackward.
Does a Sportster with its lower torque make that much of a difference control wise?
If only the Sportster was not top heavy it would prob be perfect for me.
Any feedback would be appreciated...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Beginner: Sportster vs Dyna

I have both a Softail Custom and a 1200 Low. My first bike was a '01 1200 Custom. I always hear people talk about the Sportster being top heavy. To tell you the truth, I think you just get used to whatever you have. The bigger bikes are quite a bit more comfortable in my opinion, but they do spread your legs out a little more. The Sportster is more nimble and it's a faster bike. Don't let the torque specs fool you. One of the reasons I enjoy riding the Sportster more than the Softail is because it's so much quicker. I originally bought the 1200 Low for my wife a few months ago. It was her first bike. She wound up becoming afraid of the bike and no longer wants to ride it, so she gave me the bike and became a passenger again. After riding the 1200 more, I can see why she became afraid of it as an inexperienced rider. I think you would get used to riding whatever you buy. The design of the Sportster sits you on top of the bike, and the Dyna sits you a little more down into the bike. However, the Dyna doesn't put you "in" the bike as much as a Softail does. I think if you feel the Sportster fits you best, you should go with it, but beware of the fact that the bike does have quite a bit of power. The Dyna is a great bike as well and would probably be more comfortable on longer rides and if you ever plan on riding 2-up. You can make long trips and ride 2-up on a Sportster, but the Dyna would do it more comfortably. That's my $.02.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: VinUnleaded

If you all could help me out with my issue, I would be grateful, please give me your opinions...

I used to own a Dyna SuperGlide, it was my first bike ever.
When the salesman fitted me for a bike, the VROD, Sportster, and Dyna all felt pretty good.
I am 6' 200lbs and somewhat athletic, but felt like a skinny, weak, frail wimp on the Softtails and Larger.
You could say I was very intimdated by the size and weight of the largerbikes.
I stayed away from Sportsters even though they felt really good, mainly because I knew they were top heavy.
Thus, I went with the Dyna, and I felt that although heavier, its lower center of gravity would be easier on my legs and knees (bad).
The first problem is that all the bikes except the VROD and Sportster seem to spread my legs so wide, that I feel unbalanced.
When I sit on a Sportster, I feel I can better brace the bike, as my legs seem closer together.
Now I realize my fears and concerns with the Dyna or larger deal mainly with the bike when its at rest, i.e. a stop sign or light, and ignore the issue of being top heavy, i.e. at slow speeds such as in a parking lot.
So what do I do?
Which is a better beginner bike "for me"?
I had a bad experience on my Dyna in that I found the torque would get me by surprise sometimes, thus my takeoffs were ackward.
Does a Sportster with its lower torque make that much of a difference control wise?
If only the Sportster was not top heavy it would prob be perfect for me.
Any feedback would be appreciated...
Funny you should say that about the softtail. To me, I love the Soft tail but when I tried out a softy and a dyna side by side, both with forward controls, the Dyna felt a lot bigger. Which made me sad because the softy is what I want (I like the stance and look when lowered), but it felt no bigger than my sporty with forwards on it. I talked with a salesman and he assured me that the softies controls could be extended..but still...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
VinUnleaded
Novice

Wow, so I guess a V-Twin is a V-Twin, i.e. Powerful.....my thoughts were that the smaller engines on the Sportster would be/feel tamer than the Dyna's engine.
I feel like such a wimp!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, so I guess a V-Twin is a V-Twin, i.e. Powerful.....my thoughts were that the smaller engines on the Sportster would be/feel tamer than the Dyna's engine.
I feel like such a wimp!
1200 vs Dyna off the shelf are not all that different when it comes to power. 1200 will be slightly more nimble and quicker off the line. Sportster is more top heavy, yet slimmer in profile.

Don't as yourself what works for you right now. Truth is, the more fear you have the better. Look down the road a bit. Finances, type of riding, etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

No one who has ridden, let alone owned and ridden a Dyna SuperGlide should be looking for a "beginner bike". A salesman "fitted" you for a bike?(that's a good one, first time I've heard it - sorry. I'm surprised the salesman didn't have you out the door on a Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic!)

The real questions you should be asking yourself:

1.WHY do I want a bike?
2. What do I want in a bike?
3. What kind of riding do I want to do?
Cruising locally?
Touring?
Day trips?
Use as a commuter?
Frequent and extended two-up riding?
Strictly solo riding?
Carve out the twisties on the weekends?

Answer some of these questions and don't be concerned about how the right bike "feels". That is simply a matter of what you are used to, and any bike you get will feel like a "natural fit" after you get some miles under your belt with it. Some "yes" answers to the above questions will point you to a Sportster, others will point you to a Dyna, and still others will point you to the Softails and/or Touring bikes. Answer why you want a bike and what you will use it for, and those answers should point in the general direction of the class of bike you should acquire.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
VinUnleaded
Novice

I do have alot of fear...I dropped the Dyna soon after I got it, as I was not prepared for the Torque.
One of the perils of the using the little japanese bikes they give u in the Motorcycle Safety Classes, so when I got on my Dyna it felt huge, powerful, and fast, and when it jumped forward, I didnt get my right foot up quick enough and the heal caught and off I went!
Pain, bruises, scratches....my leather jacket was scraped down to the tan on one the side.
I was reading in this forum that most women buy Dynas versus Sportsters, it always amazed me how even a lady friend of mine can ride her Dyna Low Rider easier than the Sportster she had. The Dyna was her first bike, and yes she dropped it on her first outing like I did, but she now handles the Dyna like a Pro.
So I guess my problem is not only how the bike fits, but moreover the "feel"...I always felt if it feels good at a standstill it will feel just as good moving. I now believe that may not be the case, especially when the previous poster said the SoftTails felt smaller than a Dyna?
Geez...the Soft Tails seem even bigger to me than the Dyna.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
VinUnleaded
Novice

Thanks Thumper, here are my answers:
I want a bike purely for weekends, pleasure.
What I want in a bike is and how I am riding it would be, something thats fun to cruise in, i.e. Cruising locally, short trips, no interstates, looks good and is easy and fun to ride.
I agree somewhat about what you said about first bike/firstHarley, as most people say they are not beginner bikes.
I guess I felt if my Lady Friend could ride aHarley as her first bike, then I could.
She is very short.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

...So I guess my problem is not only how the bike fits, but moreover the "feel"...I always felt if it feels good at a standstill it will feel just as good moving. I now believe that may not be the case, especially when the previous poster said the SoftTails felt smaller than a Dyna?
Geez...the Soft Tails seem even bigger to me than the Dyna.
At a standstill, all bikes are inherently unstable. They work on the gyroscopic effect and are most stable when in motion, not at rest. You are getting (or are) paranoid about size. DON'T be afraid about size, top heavy, weight, width, etc. What you feel comfortable on is what you are used to. Getting used to a new or different bike does not take long. Again, why do want a bike and what are you going to use it for?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Thumper, here are my answers:
I want a bike purely for weekends, pleasure.
What I want in a bike is and how I am riding it would be, something thats fun to cruise in, i.e. Cruising locally, short trips, no interstates, looks good and is easy and fun to ride.
I agree somewhat about what you said about first bike/firstHarley, as most people say they are not beginner bikes.
I guess I felt if my Lady Friend could ride aHarley as her first bike, then I could.
She is very short.
Off the cuff and based on what you say above, and NOT because I own one, I would say you rank high as a Sportster candidate. Most likelyCustom. Doesn't matter which size except that although more expensive, the 1200 will bring you more money down the road if and when you sell it. On the other hand, the 883 has a lower admission price. I do NOT mean to cut the 883 short. It is a great bike and just as deserving of your consideration as a 1200. Like I said above, you appear to be a candidate for either.

Quick Reply: Beginner: Sportster vs Dyna