Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Interconnect Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007 | 08:23 PM
jc_denton
|
Road Captain
Default Muffler Interconnect Gaskets

Okay, I'm ordering the Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Slash Outs (80502-07) for the 2007 Sportsters. I also ordered 2 muffler clamps to go along with the pipes, one for each pipe. In the service manual it explicitly states that the muffler interconnect gaskets should be replaced when the exhaust is disassembled. It is part number 19 on page 2-114 in the 2007 Sportster Service Manual. The only problem is I can't find these muffler gaskets anywhere online. The official HD website doesn't have them, and there seems to be nothing online that mentions these at all. The manual says to change them. How can I change them if I can't buy them? Where can I get the muffler interconnect gaskets for the 2007 Sportster exhaust pipes? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:06 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Default RE: Muffler Interconnect Gaskets

I put screaming eagle slip ons on my 06 sportster and my buddies 07 softail standard and did not find gaskets where the muffler connects to the exhaust. Just the clamps, are these the little brillo pad looking gaskets that go between the exhaust bracket/equalizer tube and the pipes? Because unless you are putting a whole screaming eagle exhaust system, not just mufflers I don't know why you would need them.

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:24 PM
jc_denton
|
Road Captain

I think the gaskets go on right where the crossover tube connects to the pipes themselves. Thus, you need 2 gaskets. And I do believe you have to mess with the crossover tube's connection when you take off the mufflers, don't you?

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:46 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

They are made like typical exhaust gaskets. They are made with lead and packing. I reused mine. You just hafta be very carefull not to damage them.

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:53 PM
drosgarage
Cruiser

Yeah, I would reuse them also. Ya got a brand new bike, ya sure ya need new clamps with the mufflers? I just put Screaming Eagle slash downs on my bike and reused my stuff. No leaks sounds sweet! In fact one may say it's just exactly perfect!

Old 09-25-2007 | 10:53 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Edit, after all this discussion I went out and looked at my bike. And I will be damned the crossover tubes do hook into the muffler. Since I don't remember that I had to have reused the gasket and their must have been no problem with reusing them.

Old 09-25-2007 | 11:08 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]I couldn't resitst after the brillo pad coment!!

Old 09-26-2007 | 05:17 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

They are the little lead "Brillo Pad" gaskets and odds are high you will damage them - very tricky little buggers. You can get them on line from Surdykes's http://www.surdykeharley.com/parts_01.aspor Chicago Harley http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/

Old 09-26-2007 | 10:24 AM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser

I installed SE slipon slashouts last week. Connector gaskets were included which I used since the ones already on were bent out of shape when I removed the stock mufflers. I reused the clamps because there was nothing wrong with them. HD website says clamps are required. They are right, it's just that you don't need to buy new ones if the olds ones are in good shape.

Old 09-26-2007 | 10:33 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: VBCH Nightster

I installed SE slipon slashouts last week. Connector gaskets were included which I used since the ones already on were bent out of shape when I removed the stock mufflers. I reused the clamps because there was nothing wrong with them. HD website says clamps are required. They are right, it's just that you don't need to buy new ones if the olds ones are in good shape.
I agree. The lead gaskets are likely to get ruined when changing mufflers and it's always good to have a spare set on hand when changing mufflers, but the clamps are good for 3-5 changes before needing replacement. Just Harley's way of scaring you in to buying unnecessary parts!

Quick Reply: Muffler Interconnect Gaskets