Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

52 & first bike: 07-883C

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Simba
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 52 & first bike: 07-883C

OK, it's probably happened thousands of times before. I walked into a Harley Store and bought a new 07 883C in black Pearl on the spot{ I saw Hondas and all kinds of other bikes and not knowing anything about bikes, I picked the Harley. I made the right choice for sure}.I had no license, in 52 years I have never been on a bike. That was about 2-3 months ago. I got my learners permit right away, then took that 3 day driving course {which is another story} and got my endorsement about a month ago. I have put almost 2000 miles on the bike in two months or so. I got the bug and it's bad and expensive{seems like buying a bike is just a down payment on accessories }. A couple questions..... First, how can anyone need more speed than what an 883 gives? I am 160 pound...sort of light.....and have been up to 65 miles per hour and the bike feels like it could go30-35 more miles an hour easily ....it's like not even trying at 65, at least seems to me. Second, I wish I could understand the difference in all these different model Harleys? I mean I go to the Harley store and I don't understand how all these models are different? Can someone give a summary of the attributes of the different models...how they handle, feel, speed.....I am reading here that some of the really big ones with huge engines are not as fast as the sportsters? I think I understand touring harleys etc but would like to learn how a Roadking, Heritage etc feels etc etc{ since I won't be buying one anytime soon or any other model}. Along with the driving course, I read the book "Ride hard Ride Smart" two times all the way through to get sometips on riding. I also have bad arthritis with two replaced hips from 17 years ago but I am having a ball and I can handle the 883 with no problem. And here's my next question: How long should you wait until you just test drive one of the larger harleys. I would just like to rent one or borrowa friends and see how they feel. Well, it's a whole new world to me at 52. Old dogs learn new tricks. People can't believe I have done this but it is fun. This forum is a real education as well to me, thanks, adam

Old 09-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Biker Chick
Advanced
Default RE: 52 & first bike: 07-883C

Congrats on the new bike! You're gonna love it for a very long time! For now, I'd say, just enjoy the Sportster, get to know it, become a more experienced rider. One of these days you'll be riding along and realilze that you feel totally at one with your bike, which is an awesome feeling!

There are probably no simple answers to your many questions about the other models of Harleys. If you're curious, maybe wait till next spring when Harley has demo rides at the local dealers, and you can try a couple of them out (if you still want to).

Sportsters are a BLAST! They're quick (they'll go REALLY fast, like close to 200 mph, which is way more than anyone needs), they're nimble, they look amazing, and the opportunities for accessorizing/customizing are endless.

Have fun! Be safe!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
cst010
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experiences. 2000 miles is not alot, take your time and you will feel more and more comfortable with your ablities. Do some research on harley's web site and you will learn the differences between models. Wait some and then watchfor demo rides at the local dealers. I would not take out a friends bike for a ride unless I was able to write a check for the bike if something bad happened; use the dealers demo models for that. You will know when you feel comfortable enough to ride something bigger. Spend some time at the dealers sitting on bikes to get a feel for them. I have always ridden sportsters but now that my wife is riding more with me I am in the market for a bike with more room--my wife is comfortable, I am not. I currently ride an `07 1200l andthe bikeexceeds all my expectations save one, 2up riding comfort for me.If you ride solo most of the time I can see no reason to change bikes.
Well cared for that 883 will last a long, long, longtimeno matter how many miles you ride. My 1st bike was a `72 sportster (aquired in `74)which I still have.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 AM
jeramy
Banned

perfect choice! ok you can look at my sig and guess why i said that but in all seriousness congrates on the new ride bud.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have chosen wisely

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Simba, as far as the feeling of other harley models here it is. Some feel like WOW, Some feel like "Goose Bumps" and the others feel like "Oh My God" That about sums it it for me.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adam- Congrats man, and ride safe.

Biker Chick - i'd love to know what engine you're running when you say a sportster canrun close to 200mph. suuuure.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
hogsport
Road Master

It is good to know there is another 52 yr old fool having a great time on his 1st bike.I got my 05-1200 Custom 34 days ago & have had a blast - have 1,700 miles so far.
Congrats on your new bike, You will learn the "big twin" models in time.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Simba
Advanced

thanks all. Did I say, "200MPH"? I may have.......at 52 you don't know what you're saying a lot of the time.......but I've probably been that way since I was 11. Anyway, thanks all. To be honest, I am dreading winter{ I am in Findlay Oh} and not being able to ride a month or two or three in a row. Wish I could work on bikes but I can't put a screw in the wall. I bought the bike when my second son left for college. And thanks about the info on demo days...did not know that. Anybody want to make a ton of cash? Open a harley place in Findlay Ohio.........tons of harley riders and no store for over 25 miles.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no simba- you didn't say 200mph. Biker Chick did.

Yes. The winter sucks. I'm in new hampshire and am dreading the day the bike has to go into storage!!!

Enjoy the riding while the weather's good!

Rob

Quick Reply: 52 & first bike: 07-883C