Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Damn Wife is back on the Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007 | 05:40 PM
Nellybelle
|
Road Warrior
Default Hot Damn Wife is back on the Sporty

In February I bought my wife her first bike. After taking the A.B.A.T.E. class last August and getting her license I bought her a new 1200 L in February. I researched everything I could and decided she was entitled to a 2007 model. I weighed all the pro's and con's and relied even on imput from this forum. Anyway we took it to the local high school parking lot in April so she could get use to it. After a couple of eveningspracticing she dropped it twice and I assured her that was OK no big deal. At the start of the next days practice she popped the clutch and froze with the throttle open and promptly went through a 6 foot chain link fence. Thank God the fence was attached to the post in a manor that allowed it to swing up as she went through. Well even though she wasshacken up a littleI did manage to get her to try to ride it around the lot one more time. She did but SHE WAS DONE.

A coulpe of weeks later I bought her a 250 Rebel. Yes she wanted a new one, well after all her sporty was a new one so OK I bought her one. She took it to the school lot and did just fine. We drove it around the county for the last month and all though she was slow she said she had fun. She would not even think about the 1200 L until this past week. Well Thursday evening she said she would try the Sporty again so I immediately rode it in to the school lot and she rode it for about 45 minutes no problems. Yesterday she rode it for about 25 miles, then our son wanted to ride it so she let him and she went back to the Rebel for the afternoon. This morning she got on the Sporty and rode it for about 80 miles. Tha means that this weekend she rode the Harley for a little over 100 miles.

She managed to stay with me at 60 mph on the highways and had a ball. Her confidance has returned and she said she really like the Sporty . She is ready to ride more and I am really proud of her for trying it again. She is 54 year old mother of three grown children and a grandmother of four. She is also very proud of herself. I guess you can teah and old erh ... erh... Gal a new trick.

The Rebel relly served its purpose for her anyway.

Old 09-23-2007 | 05:52 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Hot Damn Wife is back on the Sporty

Congrats to the wife .. It's not easy learing to ride "later" in life... I was just 50 when I got my license, and it's my third season of riding. I have been more confident each year, and this year feel I made major strides, but I'm always saying, "ya know, I'm not a carefree 20 year old so it all comes a little slower". But I love it and am now hooked, and hopefully your wife will be too.Here's to many happy and safe hours of riding ...and it's so nice to see a proud hubby.

Old 09-23-2007 | 05:56 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer

The Rebel is a very forgiving learner bike. Great for building confidence. My wife rode hers for 4 months before she was ready for something bigger. Its a bit of a hole in the wallet having to go through a number of bikes quickly like she did but its worth it.

Old 09-23-2007 | 06:22 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

Congrats! from one 50 something Lady Rider to another. I'm GLAD she got back on the Sporty and hope that she enjoyes hers as much as I do mine.

Old 09-23-2007 | 06:33 PM
hawaiibound
Tourer

That's Awesome! Congrats to her and kudo's to you for being so supportive!

Old 09-23-2007 | 07:08 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Just keep taking her on some nice, easy paced rides to build her confident up about the Sporty.
I give her credit. If I would have had all those set backs so early in my riding career, I'm not sure that I would have persisted.

Old 09-23-2007 | 09:04 PM
x2lee
Banned

See? I misunderstood the topic... I thought it was HOT dam wife, is back on the sporty, I thought I could use this smiley for my first time[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

but instead I will just say Grats!
ORIGINAL: Nellybelle

In February I bought my wife her first bike. After taking the A.B.A.T.E. class last August and getting her license I bought her a new 1200 L in February. I researched everything I could and decided she was entitled to a 2007 model. I weighed all the pro's and con's and relied even on imput from this forum. Anyway we took it to the local high school parking lot in April so she could get use to it. After a couple of eveningspracticing she dropped it twice and I assured her that was OK no big deal. At the start of the next days practice she popped the clutch and froze with the throttle open and promptly went through a 6 foot chain link fence. Thank God the fence was attached to the post in a manor that allowed it to swing up as she went through. Well even though she wasshacken up a littleI did manage to get her to try to ride it around the lot one more time. She did but SHE WAS DONE.

A coulpe of weeks later I bought her a 250 Rebel. Yes she wanted a new one, well after all her sporty was a new one so OK I bought her one. She took it to the school lot and did just fine. We drove it around the county for the last month and all though she was slow she said she had fun. She would not even think about the 1200 L until this past week. Well Thursday evening she said she would try the Sporty again so I immediately rode it in to the school lot and she rode it for about 45 minutes no problems. Yesterday she rode it for about 25 miles, then our son wanted to ride it so she let him and she went back to the Rebel for the afternoon. This morning she got on the Sporty and rode it for about 80 miles. Tha means that this weekend she rode the Harley for a little over 100 miles.

She managed to stay with me at 60 mph on the highways and had a ball. Her confidance has returned and she said she really like the Sporty . She is ready to ride more and I am really proud of her for trying it again. She is 54 year old mother of three grown children and a grandmother of four. She is also very proud of herself. I guess you can teah and old erh ... erh... Gal a new trick.

The Rebel relly served its purpose for her anyway.

Old 09-23-2007 | 09:11 PM
Vinny132
Tourer

COOL STORY BRO..GLAD THE WIFE GOT BACK ON..

I went down about 2 weeks ago doing about 50and it HURT..But the bike is in the shop and as soon as it's done I'm going for one long *** ride..

Tell her I said she's one tuff chick..

Best of luck and be safe

Old 09-23-2007 | 09:17 PM
anubisss
Banned

Congrats on the wife moving back up to the sporty. That is BIG. When Scootergrrl got her endorsement and was ready to get on her 883L she was most definetely intimidated. I took her over the a small city airport for her to practice for many afternoons. Then we went to the VA where she had taken the MSF and she praticed there for a while. I really tried to NOT rush her although I was so excited inside that I wanted to scream. Thus far she had one mishap dropping the bike in a praking spor at the grocery store as her hand slipped off the clutch. It is a big deal to have a wife that rides with you, and I find myself far more concerned for her safety than my own which is quite funny. I now know how my mother felt when I told her I was getting motorcycle. Anyway congrats to her and keep the shiny side up...

Old 09-23-2007 | 09:23 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Default E: Hot Damn Wife is back on the Sporty

Tell her congratulations, and to you to. My wife has the 1200L and she is doing great and gets stronger every ride. And she absolutely loves the bike, she told me today that the bike rides better each time, but she would like to have a different seat.

Quick Reply: Hot Damn Wife is back on the Sporty