Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slip on mufflers

I did some reading of the plugs after a 75 mph trip across towards Laughlin just after putting on the Cycle Shack turnouts on my 2005 XL 1200 R. The reading indicated that the engine was just slightly on the lean side. I rejetted today to # 185 main from a # 180 and a # 45 low speed from a # 42. I made the same trip and read plugs again. Perfect! Also it might be my imagination, but the engine seemed smoother with less vibration at speed. It is very responsive with more apparent torque in the 2500 to 4500 rpm range. I am thrilled with the 1200 R, but it just seems to be getting better with each step of fine tunning. Both aftermarket items (exhaust and re-jetting) added to the bike have increased torque in exactly the rpm ranges that are most used.

The Cycle Shack turnouts have a very deep sound, slightly on the loud side with a lot of open throttle and mellow out very nicely when feathering it. I am very pleased.

The instructions for installing the jets called for removal of the carb from the engine. I looked things over very closely and thought that with my desert racing experience of all but rebuilding carbs still on the engine, I might just be able to do it without carb removal. Turned out to be a piece of cake, including removal of the plug in the idle mixture tube. ............. BC

Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM
MuddyXL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MuddyXL

Two days ago I ordered a set of Cycle Shack tapereds based on a large thread on another forum. (three pages raving about the CS slip-ons) According to it the Cycle Shacks sounded deeper and the V&H were raspy by comparison and the SEs were just not loud enough but had decent tone. I'm after deep and throaty versus obnoxious loud. I'll let you know how it goes after I get them bolted up.
I love them! Nice deep tone. Loud, but not too loud. I can hear my own engine in a crowd of Harleys now! A little more torque I think and they didn't seem to make it run any leaner that I can tell. I got the tapereds and they look stock but with a smaller outer diameter. The stock heat shield still worked. I heard them compared side by side to SEIIs and the SEIIs were quiet by comparison.

I did have a manufacturing defect on one muffler. The edge at the exit has a dip in it. Didn't notice it until I mounted them up and wiped them off. The place I bought them from wants me to ship them both back for exchange. I think I'll just remount it to the forward position where it won't show as much and save myself the return shipping.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
ANG1200R
6th Gear

A couple of questions, I'm new at this. What does SE refer to and has anyone tried Dennis Kirk slip-on replacement mufflers? I'm looking for a deeper, throatier, Harley sound. I have a '05 1200R. Thanks

Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Slumpys1200c
Advanced

We have the V+H straight shots and I think they are great. With regards to noise, my wife and I can talk on the bike, when stopped that is. Too much wind once rolling. But I don't think the V+H are too loud. Either way, they say loud pipes save lives........
One other thing, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (hic, BURP!!!!!).

!!! RIDE SAFE !!!

Keith in Pa.
05 1200 custom "Lava"

Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ANG1200R,

"SE" stands for Harley's "Screaming Eagle" performance parts. Harley makes SE slip-ons and SE II slip-ons. The SE II's are the deeper sounding pipes, the SE's sound pretty much stock, but look different.

I too have a 2005 XL1200R and I put the Cycle Shack Tapered slip-ons on and I love them! Good sound and only $121.75 delivered to my door through Jireh's.

Thumper26

Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

ANG1200R: A guy down the street from me has Dennis Kirks on his Dyna. He goes by twice a day to work and coming home. I'm a little hard of hearing (too much time in loud pistol ranges) so don't have a good impression of what he sounds like. My wife, who hears about as well as anyone I've ever known, says that my Cycle Shack turnouts "sound" better. There you go! An opinion from an expert. .... BC

Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AZFlyingDiver

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

Vance and Hines will be a little more mellow of you use their quiet baffle. Cycle Shacks are less money but their quality isn't quite as good as V&H.
And why would that be? Any info?

The Quiet baffle V&H uses is welded at one end and then wrapped in a fiber glass cloth like material. This cuts down on the metallic sound and makes it a deeper rumble. Because it's welded at one end, there are holes under the fiber glass sheeting for the exhaust fumes and sound waves to travel through since it's not a true straight through design. Based on the design of the baffles, back pressure is greater, therefore it would assist in giving the bike a little more low end torque according the V&H performance numbers I have read. The Cycle Shack design is straight through, however, I am sure you can buy after market baffles for them.

As far as quality is concerned, that is merely my opinion and the opinion of many "experts" I have spoken to. The V&H products are made very well and they are very solid and heavy. I have closely compared the Cycle Shacks to the V&H and preferred the V&H better. I would assume the finer details in the workmanship is why V&H charges more for their products. Regardless, both of these exhausts in my opinion are very good and I would be happy with either.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:42 PM
ANG1200R
6th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. After I asked about SE I figured it out. Felt like a real butthead. Like I said, I'm new to HD's.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ANG1200R

Thanks for the feedback. After I asked about SE I figured it out. Felt like a real butthead. Like I said, I'm new to HD's.
Don't feel that bad because my friend just bought a bike not a harley but he ask me to come over and give him some pointers on riding and he actually ask me which was the brake and which was the clutch.[:@][]

Old 12-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ANG1200R,

No need to feel like a "butthead"! Getting questions answered is a large part of what this forum's all about - don't be afraid to ask questions! Remember, the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!

Thumper26

Quick Reply: Slip on mufflers