Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about to say "F" PCIII....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm about to say "F" PCIII....

I hope the guy with the 07 Nightster with the Thundermax can chime in here. I was running my bike (07 Nightster) for about 4 weeks with V&H short staggards and the PCIII and it was running ....decent. I was actually just running the map for SE slip-ons. But I got my SE intake 2 days ago so I uploaded the EXACT map for my setup figuring it would run pretty damn good. Wrong. I've never heard a bike sputter and pop so freaking bad on decel. It's literally almost embarassing how crappy it sounds. Now....I never expect ANYTHING electronic to work perfectly, but I do expect a little more out of a product as popular as this. Has anyone else had experience like this? I know a few guys are running the Thundermax with auto-tune. Is it really worth the extra $450? I don't mind spending a little time working out the kinks on PCIII but I refuse to pay $150 to have it tuned on the dyno just on principal alone. I'm thinking about emailing DynoJet and see what they have to say. The only thing I'm worried about is that the popping might just be an inherent thing with short pipes....especially ones without a cross-over pipe. I'll probably post this in the technical forum as well but this forums seems to be a bit quicker with responses.

Sorry about the rant. [:@]

Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: I'm about to say "F" PCIII....

The popping is usally more prevalent with short pipes, but there are a lot of adjustments you can make to the map to eliminate most if not all of the popping. Do a search for pcIII and popping and ask some questions. I added some numbers to the lower end of the map in the first column and it really helped. I think it was between 1750 and 4000 rpms I changed it to 20 in the 0 throttle column. Also ahve you set your throttle position with the pcIII? That will really help too...

Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Softy
Road Master

If you call dyno jet tech line,they will be more than happy to help you out. A friend was just talking to them yesterday about his hookup. 2cents

Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

I just set my throttle position and then I went through and added +20 from 1000rpm up to about 3500rpm. It seemed to work for a second and then it was back to shooting blue flames and popping like crazy. At one point it kept saying something about some values being outside the parameters. I had to close the program and then re-download the same map to get it to go away. I might just call DynoJet and see what they say. I also might pull my plugs tomorrow if I get a chance and see what the deal is.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seemed to work for a second and then it was back to shooting blue flames and popping like crazy
Blue flames is unburned fuel in your exhaust igniting. Looks pretty cool, but that's not exactly the best state of tune. Try removing some fuel from that region.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Ditto on the short pipes, I had V&H Short Shots B4 my switch to Big Shots Staggered. Poping on the shorties
was constant. I would suggest dealing with them directly.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

The popping is usally more prevalent with short pipes, but there are a lot of adjustments you can make to the map to eliminate most if not all of the popping. Do a search for pcIII and popping and ask some questions. I added some numbers to the lower end of the map in the first column and it really helped. I think it was between 1750 and 4000 rpms I changed it to 20 in the 0 throttle column. Also ahve you set your throttle position with the pcIII? That will really help too...
Yep that's how I fixed mine up. Added 20 from 1750 to redline.
The original poster might try different values. Lower it to 10 and see if it improves or gets worse then youhave a cluewhich way to go.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you set the throttle position when you installed it or did you just load a map, plug it in andride?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 AM
MJStephens
Tourer

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Did you set the throttle position when you installed it or did you just load a map, plug it in andride?
I didn't set the TP initially but it IS set now. I set it up and zero'd the map and then resent the correct map to the module. I got a PM from a guy on here offering to send me his map that he uses. He was having the same problems I am. I'm gonna give it a shot later on and see how it goes.

The one thing I keep getting confused on it whether I'm running rich or lean on decel. Logic would tell me I'm running rich but then I've seen more than a few people say that BLUE flames are the result of running lean. [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 09-22-2007, 07:05 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What I saw in some article discussing tuning of the PC III is if the popping is loud like a firecracker it is lean if it is muffled pops it is rich. This is just whatI read in the article so it's not my idea if it's wrong.

You could always do like I said and add gas to the 0% throttle position and see what happens, if it gets worse than you know it's too rich, if you lower the gas and it gets worse than it was too lean. That same article said it just depends on the bike and you may have to go up to 50 instead of the 20 you tried. Easy enough to do and check anyways if you have a laptop handy. I just had the guy down the street come over with his laptop and we changed the settings then I rode down the street and checked the popping with a setting of 10 then came back and raised it to 20 and rode again and it was good. Still get a pop every once in a while here and there but nothing like it was before. If I rode down the streets in the bad part of town, people were pulling out their guns when my bike would pop.

Quick Reply: I'm about to say "F" PCIII....