Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wind noise

I was on the highway today.I rode for about 40-50 miles at 65-80+ mph.I have never had a problem with the wind noise before.But today for some reason it was buggin the HELL outta me.I really don't want a windshield,or a full face helmet.So I was wondering if ear plugs would work OK.Does anyone wear ear plugs?

If I actually do break down and get a windshield it would have to be a detachable windshield.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wind noise

I just got the newquick-release detachable touring windshield for Sportsters, and it's really nice. It has absolutely no leave-behind hardware, and it's the largest HD detachable shield out [that I know of]. I bought it because the temperature dropped a few days here and I was completely freezing my behind off on rides. It's a really great shield and I highly recommend it. It completely blocks all annoying wind that comes at you while riding for long periods. The wind still gets your arms a bit, and the hands, too, but it blocks your body and head from the wind quite well. It also creates a neat swirling of wind directly behindyou, which helps to cool off. Oh, and it catches so many bugs you're likely to be impressed.

It's pretty expensive but really worth it in my opinion. You'll be wanting a shield when it gets cold out.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
ambersin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use ear plugs in the summer with the half helmet. I just get the plugsat the dollar store. My only problem is remembering to put them in before I leave. It's a cheap fix for the wind noise and still allows you to have that wind in your face.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I ride with ear plugs, and it works for me. Give it a shot. But I also broke down and got a full face helmet because it's getting colder out there.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I wear ear plugs on long trips. It doesn't bother me on short ones.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have to try the ear plugs.I have a full face helmet,but it is only worn when it's below 50 degrees

Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried some ear plugs. Was curious because we're getting ready to hit a full day on the interstate, which isn't the most fun riding to me. Let me rephrase that. I'm going to be on I81 for a long haul-don't mind most interstates. Anyway, Iliked them! They might get me a ticket, though.[&o] It probably sounds weird, but it made me feel like I was riding much slower. I guess the sound of wind makes me feel like I'm going faster. It's a good thing RaftGyde rides in front. He can keep me out of trouble.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm the same way booey. It gets cold, I wear the helmet.lol!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

I wear a full-face helmet no matter what temperature it is. I'm really surprised you guys can ride without them at all. When I take that thing off at the end of the day, it hastons bugs stuck to it of all different types. That means all those bugs would be stuck to my face if I didn't wear it. Do you all have to floss them out of your teeth at the end of the day?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

I wear a full-face helmet no matter what temperature it is. I'm really surprised you guys can ride without them at all. When I take that thing off at the end of the day, it hastons bugs stuck to it of all different types. That means all those bugs would be stuck to my face if I didn't wear it. Do you all have to floss them out of your teeth at the end of the day?
Thank you! It's been a boring evening. . .

Quick Reply: wind noise