Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: wind noise

The bugs don't bother me.They usually just slide off your skin.Not like plastic where they stick.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
ksrider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the quick detach windshield and i wear ear plugs all the time. very seldom ride without them.i was told by ahearing expert that they are fitting more and more motorcyclists with hearing aids now. I just had a pair of stereo ear plugs made for my ears andit is great listening to the mp3 playerespecially on long trips. i have tried others and these i run the volume about half a high as the others.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I picked up a QD windshield at the beginning of riding season this year and I've had it on more than it's been off. I DEFINITELY prefer the look of the bike without, but the benefits (especially on the interstate) are worth it. There is less wind noise, fatigue and less bugs. I feel safer on the slab with a shield.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I will wear ear plugs at higher speeds so I can save my hearing. I hardly ever wear a helmet.

I tried the full face helmet thing a couple of times this summer, basically to prove to myself I could takethe heat (I felt like a sweating pig[:@]). Ear plugs are a must with my helmet and my pipes, unless I want tofeel like I am in a steel drum and someone is banging on it. Believe me, it is a terrible, non-ending sound.

The wind noise bothers me at interstate speeds.After the ride, my brain is left with nice memories and my ears are left with a nice ring. I never had this problem with my past bikes. [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want the whole riding experience. Bugs, rocks and all. I don't recommend it for riders with a few years of life riding. Been riding bikes since I was 8.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

I want the whole riding experience. Bugs, rocks and all. I don't recommend it for riders with a few years of life riding. Been riding bikes since I was 8.
Better grab some extra floss this week.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the wind....

After all it's a motorcycle, not a car or truck where you are enclosed and don't experience any of the outside elements..

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jc_denton

I wear a full-face helmet no matter what temperature it is. I'm really surprised you guys can ride without them at all. When I take that thing off at the end of the day, it hastons bugs stuck to it of all different types. That means all those bugs would be stuck to my face if I didn't wear it. Do you all have to floss them out of your teeth at the end of the day?
It's funny, when I get home from a ride when I've had my full face on, there is crap all over it. But, when I wear the half shell, that crap is never on my face, nor do I feel it hitting me... Go figure

-Andy

Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I use earplugs when I know I am riding any sort of distance at highway speeds and am very happy with them. You can buy sample packages at http://www.aerostich.com/aerosearch....earplug+samplefor a reasonable price that will let you try a few manufactuers to find the one that best works for you.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

I'm used to riding with a windshield, and my QD with other goodies will be installed in a few weeks, but I noticed my eyes watering, and the wind noise bothering me when approaching 70 or better. So last night I decided to put the face shield on my 3/4 helmet, and both of THOSE problems were solved. No watering eyes and greatly reduced wind noise! But it created another problem! My head felt like a "head-bobber" figure you see on dashboards of minivans! The extra weight and frontal surface area was putting a lot more wind resistance on my head at around 60 or so. I have some earplugs, so I guess I'll use them. I've used them before, and they work...I just need to remember to keep some in my jacket or vest pocket.

Teek

Quick Reply: wind noise