Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Please!....Roadtest Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opinions Please!....Roadtest Update

I would think about the advantage of a three year new bike with only 1500 miles difference.
I always prefer newer myself. But thats just me. Good luck let us know what you did.

I would not wait too long. Winter is coming and the riding season is coming to a close.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

After re-reading your postand looking at the picture of the lady in your signature.
I would take my money and the lady to Brighton until the money ran out. LOL.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions Please!.....Roadtest Update

I would say don't worry too much about the price and go for the bike that has the looks you want and feels good to you when you ride it. Regardless of the age of the first bike, and how much it would have cost new, you won't find a UK dealer who would charge much less than that foran 883 with only 500 miles on the clock.

Both the 03 and 06 are carburettor equipped (unless you mean UK 06 licence plate, rather than 06 H-Dmodel year, in which case it may possibly be a very early EFI model) so the powerplant will be the same. The 06 will have a rubber-mounted engine, whilst the 03 engine is bolted directly to the frame, so there may be a bit less vibration. The 883C, with its larger diameter front wheel, will, however, feel somewhat less positive and stable on cornering than the other models.

My personal view would be that you have a fairly straightforward choice.For what is essentially the same price you can have -
a) a 500 mile bike that sounds good and feels great; or
b) a 2100 mile bike that sounds sh*t and feels wobbly.
The choice is yours!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Fraggenstein
Advanced

Hi Phil,looking at the 03 bike it looks brand spanking new and of course it should with only 500 miles on it.

Looking at the bike you've got a few extra's already done to it and you need totake that into consideration when buying.

New seat , sissy bar , exhausts , forward peg conversion , windshield , looks like a screamin eagle air filter on it so probaby has at least a stage 1 upgrade.

All that will cost you big bucks to put on to a newer standard bike.

If i was you then i think i'd go for the 03 model for the cash price,especially if like you say you enjoyed the test ride on it.

keep us updated

Oh forgot,don't buy a bike with the front wheel larger than 19" if you like riding twisty roads a 21" wheel will feel really unstable

Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Phil_UK
Cruiser

Hi and thanks for your views,
I think I can live with the vibration of the 03, In fact I expected a Harley to vibrate, It felt like I was riding a Harley and it sounded like a Harley.
The newer model definately did not feel or sound anywhere near and it was unstable.
The only thing I prefered on the newer model was the fatter tank but I suppose that the extras on the 03 make up for that. I believe that the 03 does indeed have a stage 1 upgrade and is certainly more pleasing to the eye with the extra touches.
Considering I very nearly bought a 2005 Honda shadow with 2000 miles on it for £4795 ($9682) I think I'm getting a much better bike in the 883 for less money.

Oh and the girl in the picture is my guardian angel so will be riding on the back with me

Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phil_UK

Oh and the girl in the picture is my guardian angel so will be riding on the back with me
How come my guardian angel looks like this?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
hogsport
Road Master

I would opt for your option of looking at the used - non-dealer market.
Here in the states bikes this time of year plummet in price from motivated sellers. I bought mine 4 weeks ago (have put 1,500 smile filled miles on it) for about 2k under dealer prices.
I think the '04+ bikes will always comand a higher resale than the prev models because of the rubber mount - it is a very smoth running bike even at 75+mph.

Buy the bike you want - ignore the accessories (they add less than 20% of their orig value)- it is easier to change the accesories than the bike.

Personally I like the Custom series and bigger tank and 21" front laced wheel, but that is just me.
Whatever you do - just do it. your worst decistion would be to not buy a bike at all. I have had a blast on mine - should have bought one 20 years ago.

as Dennis says, "that is my opinion, of course I could be wrong"

Old 09-21-2007, 11:46 PM
eggroll
Road Master

I say don't buy the bike. Don't buy any bike, are you kidding? They're loud, dangerous, ridden by unsavory social elements and are the catalyst for the decline of western civilization! Run!! Run, I say and save your hard earned shekels![:@]

You'd better just buy it, man. I bought mine a year ago, the first ever for me and I love riding it. If I had the opportunity to just pack it up and hit the road for a month, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my first bike in November '06(I'm 43 now), a 2004 Honda Shadow 750 with 765 miles on the clock, delivered. I traded it in four days ago with 10,300 miles on it. Great bike! I can't say anything bad about it, except that 750 cc in a cruiser-class bike can only perform just so much. Mine was utterly reliable. But what did I trade it for? Another Honda? No. I got a 2007 Harley Sportster Low! I put 80 miles on it just tonight (I'm still breaking it in). Second fill up of the 4.5 gallon tank in four days. Yes, I love it! You will appreciate the 2003 883 over the Shadow, especially at the prices of each. Even if the Shadow is the 1100 model. Sportsters are simply more fun![sm=biker.gif]

I say get the 2003 Anniversary model with all the goodies! Cash price. And a 52 degree,offset v-twin that fires its plugs every stroke will NOT sound like a 45 degree, inline v-twin that fires every other strokelikethe Harley Sportster! Ever! It might sound "good", but it will never sound like a Harley!

Teek

Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Phil_UK
Cruiser

I'm getting Insurance quotes for the bike in the picture on my first post but the insurance company is telling me that the only model they have listed for 2003 is XLH883, Is this correct or is it an 883c or just an 883?
Can someone please tell me the correct model please!
Thanks.

I just found out its an XLH883 so forget that question!!

Quick Reply: Opinions Please!....Roadtest Update