Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-up riding on a nightster

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2-up riding on a nightster

The Harley website offers two-up seat options for the Nightster, the most sensible and "comfortable" one while still maintaining some semblance of Nightster-ism would be the $300 leatherRallyrunner seat. It's about the same width as the stock seat, hugs the frame, is low, has back support for the rider, and an 8" wide passenger section. You'll have to get passenger pegs and mounting hardware for it, too. And I'll recommend a wrinkle black DETACHABLE sissy bar upright with pad. Get the mini rail or short rail. Do not get the medium low, low, or tall sissy bar uprights. These are too tall. You want it low profile and just high enough so peoplecan't read the back of your t-shirt that says, "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THE B*TCH FELL OFF!!!"

Other options from the MoCo include the Badlander Two Up seat, the Reach two up seat (I have this one on order for my Low, but it's a bike more fitting for it), and the overwhelming vote for comfort...the HUGE Sundowner seat. The Sundowner would look SO incredibly out of place on the Nightster, and I'm the type of guy to put function and comfort AHEAD of looks! If you want passenger comfort for a Sportster model, get a Low or a Custom. These don't look too ridiculous with a Sundowner seat in large part because of their larger fuel tank. If you do a lot of two up riding, then the Dynas and Softails are good for that. Beyond that, you'll have to look at touring models like the Road King.

So my humble opinion is that if you are contemplating two up riding and don't have a Nightster yet? Either DON'T do two up riding REGULARLYor DON'T get a Nightster! But if you MUST ignore the consensus of the forum, then get a $300 Rallyrunner seat with all the wrinkle black hardware for a wrinkle black short rail upright,and pegs withblack mounting hardware(probably another $300). I don't think that would look TOO horrendous. Oh, and after all that money, don't be surprised if your passenger STILL isn't comfy. The short shocks on the Nightster are only 11", will have to be set to their stiffest settingand don't give a whole lot of damping room...maybe about an inch to an inch and a halfeither way. Personally, I think the ideal is to have "his and hers" Nightsters! Unfortunately, that's not a consideration in most households...one bike and that's it.

Teek

Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 PM
lamp24
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be doing mostly solo riding however so occasional 2 up riding not long distances and just for a cruse around the town. For everyone that does have a 2 up seat which to you recommend between the rallyrunner, badlander, and sidekick?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
levi
Intermediate

i know i'm way late in this conversation, but i have some input.

i bought my nightster this past july (07) and ended up getting the sidekick seat and removable backrest (low) and rear passenger pegs for it. the feedback i got from a couple different passengers was that it was very comfortable with that seat and that the time spent on the back wasn't uncomfortable at all.
from the drivers perspective, it's obviously a much smoother ride with two people on it simply because of the weight, but you can tell that the rear shocks are not designed for the extra weight of two riders. so yes, whoever said this is not setup for 'fat chicks' is right!
the three different passengers i've had on it so far were all 120lbs or less so it wasn't an issue, but i could see how it could be. and obviously, the rear section of the sidekick isn't really designed for a wider rear either.

i have the full write up and a couple pics in this thread.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Uk Iron
6th Gear

Ok, here's my short opinion....

I have an 09 Iron 883, im a biggish lad and my wife decided she wanted to come out with me on the odd occassion, so I looked at the options and went with a detachable sissy bar, with a Badlander seat as we only do short journeys. Both the bike and the seat has coped well so far with no complaints. So yes the Nightster will be fine, may have to watch the springs, as here in the Uk the bikes have a slightly diffrent set up. As for the seat, that really depends on the journies you have in mind...hope this helps a bit

Old 09-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Two up.

I use my bike for solo and two up however my ,wife is a small and only about 55 kilo's i weigh 85 kilo's.I definatlly feel the diference scraping footpegs and sidestand in corners.But the ease at which you switch out the solo and double seat was a selling point for me.She has said the passenger ride is not as comfortable as other bikes we've owned but my nightster is by far the coolest looking.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
bk43
Advanced

I agree the two up is ugly on the nightster/iron but if your going 2-up how can you tell what it looks like anyways. Just my opinion. Unless you dont want to change it back and forth from solo to 2-up.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
supersergio44
4th Gear

I just got an '07 Nightster and bought a nice Harley 2up seat and HD sissy bar with backrest for my gf. We love it! Only problem was with the original shocks. It is true there is not very much travel in the shock, but I bought 11.5" (vs the stock 11") Progressive Shocks model 430. $350 on the internet! Much better ride and we love cruising on our Nightster. You should get it!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
2010IRON883
Tourer

GUYs i am going throught the same deal right now. I have a 09 iron and my wife wieghts 130 to 140 and i wieght about the same. I am goin with the badlander seat and i have detachable sissy bar. Now the local dealer is saying i am absolutely goin to have to have a shock upgrade. Do you guys think if i turn up the preload that we could manage what i mean has anyone done this? I am goin to upgrade them asap but i just dont think its going to be this riding season. I just spent around $2000 in upgrades so im strapped!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Nighty09
Cruiser

I have a 2-up set up on my Nighty. I'd say it's ok for those Sunday jaunts, if your lady is small enough. Fortunately my wife is. I wouldn't recommend anything longer than 2 hours. Works well for the kiddos!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Nighty09
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lamp24
Thanks for the input everyone. I will be doing mostly solo riding however so occasional 2 up riding not long distances and just for a cruse around the town. For everyone that does have a 2 up seat which to you recommend between the rallyrunner, badlander, and sidekick?

I love my Danny Gray Weekday 2-up. I went through four different trial seats until i found one that was comfortable and still looked half way decent.

Attached Thumbnails  2-up riding on a nightster-0_1.1.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2-up riding on a nightster