Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel-injection vs. carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel-injection vs. carb

Yea Carbs are pretty sweet especially when you forget to put Sta-bil in the tank and come springtime you find yourself rebuilding the carb...not to mention the wear and tear on the starter and battery because the extra amount of cranking a carb bike requires to get things flowing.
You may like a carburator if your the type of person who prefers walki-talki's over cell phones
you enjoy the subtle nuances of your Zenith black and white 15" TV over a HDSony 42" LCD.
You prefer the stove to the microwave
an abacus to a calculator
Canyou imagine how cars would be without fuel injection? I rememberplenty of time being late to work on cold morning becausemy carburated car wouldn't start.

Carburators are so 1970's they should be left to lawn equiptment!
I can't blame you. EFI is idiot proof. Anything dumb you do it's suppose to correct for. With a carb you actually have to think. Not everybody has that ability. Personally, I have never had any problems with the carb during temperature changes or anything else. I have no problems starting the bike all the way down to 15 degrees F.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1200c

Yea Carbs are pretty sweet especially when you forget to put Sta-bil in the tank and come springtime you find yourself rebuilding the carb...not to mention the wear and tear on the starter and battery because the extra amount of cranking a carb bike requires to get things flowing.
You may like a carburator if your the type of person who prefers walki-talki's over cell phones
you enjoy the subtle nuances of your Zenith black and white 15" TV over a HDSony 42" LCD.
Canyou imagine how cars would be without fuel injection? I rememberplenty of time being late to work on cold morning becausemy carburated car wouldn't start.

I can't blame you. EFI is idiot proof. Anything dumb you do it's suppose to correct for. With a carb you actually have to think. Not everybody has that ability. Personally, I have never had any problems with the carb during temperature changes or anything else. I have no problems starting the bike all the way down to 15 degrees F.
Let's get something we have to work to enjoy! Come on everybody! We can "think" our way through this antiquated technology! It's way more fun to work on your bike than ride it! Are you actually listening to yourself 1200C? lmao... That is some funny chit

Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

ORIGINAL: 1200c

Let's get something we have to work to enjoy! Come on everybody! We can "think" our way through this antiquated technology! It's way more fun to work on your bike than ride it! Are you actually listening to yourself 1200C? lmao... That is some funny chit
Some of us enjoy workin on our bikes. GrantedI have never had a single issue with my Carband I do not add Stable to my tankbecauseI ride mine most of the year. I also shut the petcock off while it's running before putting it down for any length of time. It has NEVER seen a repair shop sinceI have owned it with the exception of having tires installed. I like my 12 year old bike and would never trade it forANY of the new sportsters.
That said, I only need the choke for cold start up. It has plenty of power. It always starts quickly. And it's maintained by yours truly.
Oh yeahI forgot... I didn't have to pay the "harley tax" just to getthe correctair/fuel ratiounlike the lean as h3ll FI sportys.
BTW my sporty runs like a raped ape when I need it to, but will still get around 56 MPG on any poker runI ride on as long asI am riding 1 up.
If you are afraid to get your hands dirty buy a FI bike. Make sure you have an extended warranty to go with itbecause you will need it. And good luck finding a tech who can get it right the first time when remapping it.
If you wanna ride and can handle a wrench and a screwdriver and like yourmoney in your pockets instead of giving it away to an underqualified technician....buy a carb.
E.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark g

Didn't mean to offend you guys with the race post. Just kinda trying to relay the confidence in how good my efi bike seems to run.

Guess I'm stupid cause I love usin the power? I also like goin fast[sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif]
Not at all but I wouldn't tell that to the person I was trying to sell it to. You only rode it to church on Sundays, right??

Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody said they would rather wrench than ride. But some(yours truly) do enjoy doing their own maintenance/modifications. So highdesertkid, did some dude on a carbed sporty run off with your girl or something.I don't care what you ride as long as you ride, but you seem to have an actual personal dislike against carbs and those who enjoy them. Maybe it is just your "computer voice", but chill out and ride brother.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

It's way more fun to work on your bike than ride it! Are you actually listening to yourself 1200C
Work on it? I rejetted the carb 15,000 miles ago for my stage 1 setup and I haven't touched it since. Having to push in the enricher is not work. Really, if it bothers you that much: THEY MAKE AUTOMATIC ENRICHERS.

By your logic, having a manual transmission is more work. Better go find an automatic one. That's new technology vs. this old antiqued transmission where you actually have to shift yourself.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior

lmao... What a sensitiveguy you are...Well 1200C... As you may know, all Harleys have "manual" transmissions.... As does my truck.... So that analogy doesn't seem to hold any water.... does it?Try to focus here... We are talking about something that is actuallynew and improved technology for Harley Davidson.... And that now exists inEVERY model across the board...Call me crazy... ButI think I have a little more faith in the real Harley engineers, than I do in your opinion.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior

lmao flat.... No, a carbed bike would probably hesitate and stall out while trying to get away ... This forum is just too much fun sometimes... If you mistake my comments for actual "dislike" against anyone... Then you take this computer chit waaaaay too seriously. So maybe you are the one who needs to "chill outand ride brother."

Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

And that now exists inEVERY model across the board...Call me crazy... ButI think I have a little more faith in the real Harley engineers, than I do in your opinion.
Maybe you should have bought a water-cooled bike then. That's new an improved technology as well.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both and if I saw a bike that I wanted and the price was right I wouldn't care which it had so long as it was stock.