Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel-injection vs. carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 PM
mstakern
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel-injection vs. carb

You may have to rejet it a couple times to get it right, but at least it is only one carb which is very easy to get to. Now jetting a sportbike with four carbs can get tricky after you spend time getting to it.I like the carb, and like mentioned before working the single carb is not rocket science. Rather easy after you take it apart once.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bmkshort

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

If you want the old Harley Chug,Chug. Get the carbed. If you want to start up and ride away, get the EFI.
Amen to that. If I had the choice at the time it wouldhave beenEFI. It may be more expensive to do upgrades, but the upgrades will be precise. Not a guessing game like rejetting. Watching a remap on a dyno machine was very impressive. Total performance perfection in all the power bands. There is no way a carb can mix air and fuel as precise as a computer and injector.
I absolutely agree... I watched my own dyno tune, and it was impressive indeed.... The bike runs like a raped ape now... And the power band is smooth, with no noticeable dips... I am a firm believer in the advantages of EFI.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
T.Fuller
Intermediate

When I was looking it wasn't even a question EFI all the way... No choke to mess with runs great in any weather. Just press the start button and go, then laugh while your buddy swerves trying to adjust his choke while riding...

Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
pastaman
Banned

or laugh at you when your computor takes a **** and your beside the road. Carb you can usually get going again if you have the least bit of know how.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Carb! Hands down, unless you don't know how to turn a screwdriver.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Any of you carb guys close enough to race???? I'll put a G on my injected bike!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both. On the EFI you start it up like your car and ride away. With my current carbed bike I pull the choke partially out, start the bike up and ride away. Within the first mile I have the choke all the way in.

What I really don't understand are all the people that start up their carbed bikes and "let them warm up" for a few minutes before taking off. Why?? There's no reason to set there with the engine running while you put on your jacket, glasses, helmet, etc. Just start the damn thing up and ride it. Certainly ride it gently in the beginning but there is absolutely no need to set there and warm it up.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser

My bike is carbed and except for the initial aggrevation of trial and error rejetting, then letting the dealer install kit and dyno test, eveything is fine now. I don't have a problem with using a choke either. My thing is carbed motors are outdated technology. How many of you have any fuel related problems in your cars? Harley did not invent this technology. Its been around long enough to prove its reliabilty. Yes, some people may have had some issues, but overall, its a standard technology today and unless your too stuck on nostalgia,or into custom bike builds, its the only way to go on a production bike.
If youcompare the fuel milage between the efi and carbed bikes, that should tell you how much more efficient the efi technology is . Ifeverybody whohas a carbed bike had it dynoed,they would see that even though you can get close if your lucky, themotor is either burning a little too lean or too rich at various stages in the rpm curve.
A lean motor can cause excessive heat ora rich mixture can lead to fouling plugs or too much carbon build up.
Its just my theory, but a more efficient burn mixture has to better for an engines overall life.
So for me, I would prefer the better fuel economy, better throttle response, quicker starts, and maybe longer engine life. Is it worth all that for me to sell or trade my carbed bike for those benefits? Not enough to take the hit that I would have to take forthe money I have tied up in it. But you can bet my next bike will be fuel injected for sure !

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFI on a Sporty! No doubt. That was the coldest natured engine I have ever seen. I have owned three bikes and been around countless others. That '06 Sporty was a PAIN to get going. Ran super cold even after Stage 1 and pipes. On a Big Twin, I would go carb if given the choice. JMO. And you will always be able to find someone to work on both.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

I love my carbed Roadster! Stage 1 was easy to do and much less expensive than an injected bike would have been. Cold blooded on startup? You betcha but ride it easy for a few minutes and she's good to go. Would I have bought a FI Sportster if I had the option in '05? Not a chance! I wish I had the option to order carb on my upcoming RG.

Pick whatever suits your temperament and riding style, it's your money and your bike. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Fuel-injection vs. carb