Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a sportster but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
mikebolt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a sportster but...

the guy at the dealership kept telling me they were too small for me. He kept pointing me towards bikes that, as cool as they were, were just a little outside my budget. I figured he's getting paid so he want's to sell the more expensive models, only natural. I'm 6'2" and was just wondering how tall you guys were and how comfortable you guys were on the bike. I tried one with forward controls, and it didn't really seem all that bad.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
fiveinthelive
Cruiser
Default RE: Looking at a sportster but...

I am 6 ft and 180 and love my 1200 custom sporty, don't really care what others think about how i fit on it

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Im 6'0 and 200lbs.I dont care about what I look like on it but I will have to say that my butt hurts after about 45 minutes of riding and I think it is because I try to sit so far back on the seat.But then again I havent ridden a bigger harley so I cant say that is really the problem.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

6'4" with forward controls and custom seat.

I did a 120 mile run last week end and was comfortable as hell.

The guy just wants to get more money outa you.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
apcdgg
Stage III

I am 6'4" the bigger issue for me was my 35" inseam I definitely needed the custom with the forward controls.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I'm 6'3" and riding a 1200C like you said without the foreward controls it would be to small. It's my first street bike so I wanted a starter bike big enough to go places but not $20K so I ended up with a Sportster. So far so good although I did change the seat. See if you can try one out.DP

Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm 6' 2", 180, with a 34" inseam, and the position of the 'forward controls' was the main concern I had with my 2005 1200C.

The forward controls on the Sportsters aren't as far forward as on other models, in fact they are only a few inches further forward than the 'mid controls' on some models.

For some reason Harley felt the forward controls were too far forward, and moved them approximately 1.5" back towards the rider on the 2004+ models. Apparently they modified the stock position for shorter inseam folks.

I normally rode with my heels resting on top of the pegs, and I had planned on having some 3 to 4 inch extensions fabricated.

(You can see the forward control position on the 2005 1200C compared to the positioning on my Dyna WideGlide).

Old 09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
rwalters
Intermediate

hey im only 5'8" but i think if you get forward controls and lower the back end you be just fine. haven't lowered mine yet but i plan to

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some of my fellow salesman are of the same mind... and I think it's B.S.... If you feel comfortable on the bike, then that's ALL that matters. The 1200 certainly has plenty of power, so there's no problem in that regard. Don't let anyone talk you out of a great bike like a Sportster. If your current salesman doesn't want to sell you the bike, I'm sure that someone else will. Pizzes me off that even some Harley salesman Sportster bash.... morons.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I lucked out and got a straight shooting salesman who cared more about the right person on the right bike than he did about the money he'd make on the deal.

When I bought my Sporty the guy steered me toward the Sporty and away from the BT's I was looking at. I didn't realize it at the time but in hindsight, I think what he did was listen to me and what I said I wanted to get out of the bike. He put me on the bike I really wanted, not the one I was looking at or the more expensive one. It cost him some commission dollars but he did right by me.

Quick Reply: Looking at a sportster but...