Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes hurting my ears!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Tegne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pipes hurting my ears!

Contrary to some comments on this site, I am one rider that finds the SE slip-ons quite loud. So much so, that I'm thinking of reverting back to stock.

Am I unusual in finding that my ears hurt after a ride? The sound from the new SE's on my 1200L is a real aggressive 'pop' when accelerating or riding at higher speeds. Not the throaty roar I was expecting. I actually find my inner ear ringing when I'm done for the day, almost like the end of a rock concert. I used to enjoy going out for a blast any time of day or night. Now, I'm put off by the earache and sometimes accompanying headache. Unfortunately, the dilemma I have is that I LOVE the sounds of the pipes at idle. Sitting at traffic lights, the burble is fantastic. Twist the throttle and I just find the sound way too harsh for my liking. I've listened to SE's on the larger engined bikes, and they don't have that harshness to them.

I dunno .... this just wasn't how I was expecting to feel about my new pipes. Just wondered if others have made similar changes that they have subsequently regretted.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New pipes hurting my ears!

I prefer the gentle rumble of my stock pipes. Never anything offensive to me or any one else for that matter !!!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:43 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get soem ear plugs, I like these. http://www.earplugsonline.com/

Tom

Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Give it some time. They may mellow out a bit, once they get some carbon built up inside. I know when I installed my cycle shacks the sound was really kinda harsh. But then after a few hundred miles, they mellowed out. They didn't get more quiet, but the sound was just more pleasing. If it's the volume of the sound that bothers you, then that won't change.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain

Do you wear a helmet?

I changed my pipes to the Cycle Shacks, which should be similar.
I hardly ever wear a helmet, butthe 1st time that I did,the noise was unbearable. I have a full face white Q-Tip looking thing. Another post I read somewhere around here was about helmets & noise. Its funny that some people have the muffler / helmet noise problem and some people don't. I guessit depends on the brand and type of helmet you have.

I felt like I was inside a steel drum and someone was banging on the outside. So now, anytime I wear the helmet, I put some ear plugs in first. Ialso keep some ear plugson the bike for those55 mph + trips with out the helmet to cut out the wind noise.

If it wasn't for the ear plugs, I would have to change my pipes back or find a different helmet.November is only 2 months away, I will have to wear the helmet all of the time then. Unless we get one of those Elnino........Lanina things (and no I don't know how to spell those words)

Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: indyjeff

Unless we get one of those Elnino........Lanina things (and no I don't know how to spell those words)
It's abiker forum....spelling is optional.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Everyone's ears and hearing are different. I first tried Cycle Shack's and found I could not bear the harmonics they produced at 50 mph and above. I got that "in-a-drum-while-someone's-beating-on-it" pain in my ears from them. Riding was no longer a pleasure.

I thenswitched to SE II's and find they are "throatier" (to my ears) with no annoying harmonics (to my ears) at any speed. I am now thinking about going with Thunder Baffles in the SE II'sto get a lower tone.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

I looked at some Big City Thunder baffels and was floored by the price.

Tom

Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Tegne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions folks. Much appreciated.

Yeah ... we have to wear helmets here in Singapore. I have two.My'riding' helmet is amodern, sound insulated, Jet-style open face.My 'looks' helmet is aregular,old classic. The pipes are loud with both.

On the modern helmet, with the exhaust roar muted a bit, I canactually detect a 'clicking' deep in my skull which I suspect ismy eardrums popping in tune with the exhaust. Even after a half-hour ride, when I get off, I have noticeable inner-ear ringing. Just like after a loud concert. A mild headache then sets in.At first, I put it down to conincidence. Now, I'm beginning to suspect otherwise.

It's a pity to put in earplugs, thoughI'll certainly give it a go. The old pipes are still at the shop waiting to be picked up. I might leave them there before I decide what to do.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:28 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't think of ear plugs as a pity. A decent pair will fit well and just filter some of the harmful noise. I wear plugs and have speakers in the helmet for music. I can still hear the exhaust, traffic, emergency vehicles. It's just not as loud or damaging.

Quick Reply: New pipes hurting my ears!