Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Sporty, hard muffler decision!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM
SemmesSporty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Sporty, hard muffler decision!

I have read for months on different web sitesand I really can't get a positive answer if I just put slip ons my Sporty I won't have to spend 4 to 6 hundred more dollars just to get my Sporty to sound like a Harley should. I am close to getting the 1.5 or 1.75 Rush's. One dealer says no remap and another dealer here in the Mobile area says yes I will or I will run too lean and burn my engine up. When it is idling it smells like it's running a little rich with the stock mufflers.I have 700 miles on herand I am not going to do anything till the 1000 mi. service. Has anyone with a 07 Sporty out there that has just the slip ons and has some miles and checked the plugs and does it run as good as it did before with the stock mufflers?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 07 Sporty, hard muffler decision!

I don't have an 07, but since you haven't gotten a response here, I'll jump in. If you only change the pipes you don't have to do anything with the EFI. As long as you have the stock air cleaner your air/fuel mixture won't change. The bike will basically run the same, but it will sound louder. That is so long as you don't go with total straight pipes. If you do that, you won't have any back pressure and that will somewhat decrease your mid range torque.

There have been several forum members with 07 bikes that have done this, and report the bike runs just fine.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:42 PM
SemmesSporty
Intermediate

Thanks for your responce! Hey for a couple hundred bucks I'll try them. Check the plugs and if it runs ok , if not I'll put the stocks back on till I can buy a fuel management system and ac.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:17 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I just put the slip ons on and nothing else. I have an 07 1200L. It runs great. More power, and that sound you are looking for. I wouldn't spend the extra money getting a full stage 1 just yet. Try the slip ons and see how she runs.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I don't have an 07, but since you haven't gotten a response here, I'll jump in. If you only change the pipes you don't have to do anything with the EFI. As long as you have the stock air cleaner your air/fuel mixture won't change. The bike will basically run the same, but it will sound louder. That is so long as you don't go with total straight pipes. If you do that, you won't have any back pressure and that will somewhat decrease your mid range torque.

There have been several forum members with 07 bikes that have done this, and report the bike runs just fine.
My mechanic told me the same thing - only need to remap the FI if you mess with the intake side of the equation.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the slip on's on, didn't notice any difference in power, the sound was definately louder not alot but very noticeable, I did mine at 300 miles, never pulled a spark plug as the dealer siad no re-map necessary.

After the a/c and re-map very noticeable difference.

Tom

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM
dgates
Advanced

Well I can only tell you my experience. I put on a pair of Cycle Shack turn outs and nothing else and it definanlty leaned my bike out, way out. On a warm day after riding a while and stopping you could hear the
sound I can only describe as tink tink tink, from the excessively hot engine and the plugs were white which indicated a lean condition. It had a bad decel pop and lost some power. I bought a power commander and played around with the map for a day and let me tell you what a difference. Even on the hottest of days this summer I have yet to hear that tinking noise, the decel pop is completely gone and the power is back and much better than stock. It even idles better. Since then I have added a KN air filter and am very pleased with the bike at this point. In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, why would anyone want to take the chance with something that costs as much as these things do. Just get the pipes air cleaner and remap it or bu an aftermarket controler ( I personaly love this Power Commander). Youll be doing anyway sooner or later and you will be protecting you investment.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Bull! Had to jump in on this one. Anytime you allow more airflow in or out of the engine it changes how lean/rich the engine runs. If your new pipes allow more airflow, your engine will run hotter. You might not notice it as bad on a Sporty since they are cold natured anyway, but it will change things. Just do it right and don't risk any damage. Why spend that kind of money on a bike to do the exhaust half way? Believe me, I speak out of experience from actually trying this. Changed pipes, not AC/fuel, and that thing ran HOT!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Flash539
6th Gear

i've been on this site looking for answers/suggestions for about a month now on this same topic and i've got to tell you that the majority of the riders that have posted on thissite say that doing it right the first time is the only way to go. me, V&H short shots, K&N A/C, will buy and install both myself and then trailer it to the dealer for the remap/download. save some $$ on parts and installation and git 'er done!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 AM
spry1500
Cruiser

i have a set of slipons new take offs if you are interested $225.00 to your add us only thanks. they are lould nice sound. but i am going to go with 2 in two 1s Dee

Quick Reply: 07 Sporty, hard muffler decision!