Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever heard your Sporty in motion when not Riding it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ever heard your Sporty in motion when not Riding it??

I'm just curious, do we really know how our bikes sound? I've really only heard mine once, when a service guy rode the bike from the wash area upfront at the stealership. I was surprised how good it sounded.

Then a couple of weeks ago, on my last trip over to the East TN/West NC mountains, I heard kinda what my bike sounds like. My buddy over there has pretty much the same bike as mine. It's an 883 with sreamin eagle pipes and air cleaner. His pipes are a bit deeper than my cycle shacks, but close.

On our last run through the Dragon, comming from the NC end back into TN he had stopped at the overlook. He rides that road all the time, so I don't even begin to try and keep up with him. He was being a smart; a$$ and was laying back on his bike pretending to take a nap while waiting on me. Instead of stopping, I just gave him the one finger salute and continued. I knew he'd either catch up with me, or I would stop at his favorite hangout spot just a couple of miles north of the dragon.

As I was cruising along side the lake there on the north side of the dragon at about 40 - 45 mph. About a half a mile behind me,I saw him fall out and pass a cage. Then when he was about a quarter mile behind me, I started to hear him comming. WOW, when he blew past me at around 80-85 mph his bike sounded AWESOME!!!!!

I was hoping he was in 5th gear, thinking maybe that was kinda how my bike sounds when I pass folks on the interstate slab running at a similar speed. I later verified he was running around 85 when he passed me, but he was still in 4th gear, so the bike was screamin a bit more than it would normally be at 85 mph. Nonetheless, it gave me an idea of how my bike sounds when I pass people on the interstate.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Ever heard your Sporty in motion when not Riding it??

I know what you're saying. People I ride with often say my pipes sound great, but to me, they seem pretty tame until I go over a bridge with a barrier that reflects the sound back so I can hear it. I guess the only way to really know what our rides really sound like is swap bikes with someone you trust and ride with them.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nah, you can't really tell then either. I've done that a few times, but the wind noise, and not hearing the bike approach, then pass you....well, it just isn't the same.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love riding under the overpasses. Even my modded stocks sound good under them.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like blasting past cagers That always makes me smile, wide open 1-3/4" drag pipes sound good bouncing off their windows! hehehe

Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM
jeramy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my buddy take mine around the "block" when he was thinking of gettin his own.i spent the whole time standing on his front porch listening to him cruise around the niehborhood then take off down the hill.sounded great.deep and mellow just how i like em!

i know most people wouldn't let some one else ride their bike but i've rode all of his.I figure the only way to really know what it sounds like to other people is to find someone who rides like you and follow them in a car to see for your self , or sit out at the road and have them do some "flybys" for you.