Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

makes you think........

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default makes you think........

Well I have been letting my business partners nephew who works for us ride & learn on my 06'Shadow and today they rode out and Tim(nephew) was on Scott's 04' XLC1200 and as they pulled in Tim dropped his bike straight to the ground[]No damage but really made me think about letting him use my bike[&:]I have let a few folks ride it,my bud who is restoring a 66' which he can never seem to get to run right & he is dying of liver cancer so I like seeing him out riding,plus he helped Dawn & I out in a huge bind way back in the day. I have let another bud Jeremy get use to riding again on it,he had a rocket a few years back and has a Sportster but didn't feel comfy riding it cause it's heavy but he is off on his own nowDawn(my girlfriend) has rode the Shadow 2 times but just around a loop we go to for her to try. She is getting into it so it's a gooooood sign for me. But we let Tim keep the bike at Scott's where he stays so he can ride it with Scott but after seeing that I'm thinking I should get it back? It's brand new basically with 3500 miles on it(I put 3200 on it last year).
What would you do? Or would you even let someone ride your extra scoot at all?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: makes you think........

Damn Rob that post makes me dizzy!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have an extra scoot, but there are only a few people I will let ride my bike. They certainly aren't people that are "learning" how to ride. They are experienced riders that I have rode along side for hundreds of miles with. Plus, when they're riding my bike, I'm riding theirs, so there is a mutual respect for each other's riding ability.

For the most part I stick to the old saying: "Don't ask to ride my bike, and I won't ask to f**k your wife."

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Damn Rob that post makes me dizzy!!
[&o]
Ok my bud Scott has a nephew who is working for us....................he has been riding my Shadow..............they came over today...................Tim was on Scott's 1200 Sportster.....................he pulled in..................dropped the bike straight to the ground........................should I take my bike back from him????????????????

Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

I don't have an extra scoot, but there are only a few people I will let ride my bike. They certainly aren't people that are "learning" how to ride. They are experienced riders that I have rode along side for hundreds of miles with. Plus, when they're riding my bike, I'm riding theirs, so there is a mutual respect for each other's riding ability.

For the most part I stick to the old saying: "Don't ask to ride my bike, and I won't ask to f**k your wife."
I feel ya' on that. Scott is the only other person to ride my Sportster,only because he wanted to take his son for a ride with us and I was riding his 1200. Scott has saidf if Tim wrecked my bike he would hand his 1200 over no questions asked but I want to see when or if that time were to come what his answer would be then[8D]I don't feel comfortable on the Shadow anymore and it was just sitting is why I let those 3 ride it. I want to give it to my son in a year & 1/2 when he is 16 but want it in nice shape for him. Dawn is learning on it now but she is afraid to twist the throttle[:@]

Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 PM
beendad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me. I've got an 03 Suzuki Volusia that is very easy to ride, and the only person that I have allowed to ride it other than me is my best friend. And it's not like I'm a stingy person, not at all. I just wouldn't want things to get strange between me and someone else if they dropped my bike, or even expected to ride it because I let them once. Personally, I wouldn't ask to ride someone else's bike and I expect the same from others. It's funny how when you have a Harley and something else, people kind of assume that the other bike is expendable, like it doesn't matter much to you!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

My opinion is let the nephew ride the Shadow. Do NOT let him ride your almost new Sportster. I'd personally feel better if the Shadow had an engine guard on it. That way most of the potential "drop damage" would be limited to the guard in the form of scratches....

Check out that black bike to the right of Dallas' bike in his sig pic....that's mine. And I'm about ready to get my Sportster at the end of next month....

Teek

Old 09-08-2007, 08:14 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior

very few people have rode my sportster but I have let people ride some of my other bikes .
helping a new rider learn to ride is a good thing , good for you .

Old 09-08-2007, 08:52 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will your insurance cover any damage to other property if they wreck it?My insurance is for me and my wife.I wouldn't let anyone ride it but when I was younger I would have.Guess I grew up and figured out other people could cost me money.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:37 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Teek

My opinion is let the nephew ride the Shadow. Do NOT let him ride your almost new Sportster. I'd personally feel better if the Shadow had an engine guard on it. That way most of the potential "drop damage" would be limited to the guard in the form of scratches....

Check out that black bike to the right of Dallas' bike in his sig pic....that's mine. And I'm about ready to get my Sportster at the end of next month....

Teek
Thanks for the input fella's,it does make me feel good to be able to help a couple people out to get on the road,it also makes me feel good to let my 56 year old dying bud get on the road since his is never running good enough not to worry about it breaking down out far away. I'll let him continue to ride it until Dawn decides she wants it close so she can try riding more,it's really her bike for now,she had a Sportster but was afraid of weight & power. She likes how low the shadow is.

Teek is that a Aero 750? My bud bought 1 a couple years ago and let me ride it 1 time while he tried out my RM250 and I haven't been back in the dirt since[8D]I went the very next day to get a Sportster but was shot down and in the same hour I had the new Shadow. Well I got my Sporty now and love the snot out of it! Congrat's & enjoy your new bike!

Quick Reply: makes you think........