Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Moisture?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Moisture?

Since I've had my 883R it has had moisture in the guage and I can't figure out how to get the cover off to dry it out. I told the dealer about it and they wanted to charge me labor to fix it, and well yea eff that. Does anyone know how to get that cover off the speedo? My turn signals also have moisture in them, in the front, that's not a big problem and I think they just pop off, but I didnt want to break something.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Speedo Moisture?

Yup, your turn signal covers will pop off. Underneath is a slight cutout and you can slip a dime or a nickle in there and work them off, and then they'll pop back on with a little push.

The speedomether is another issue. Even if you figure out how to get it apart, you have to put it back in a way that the seal won't let it gather too much moisture again or it will just become a pin-in-the-neck routine. Do you store your bike outside? I'm trying to figure out why you have condensed moisture all over the place...

Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: pwnzilla

Since I've had my 883R it has had moisture in the guage and I can't figure out how to get the cover off to dry it out. I told the dealer about it and they wanted to charge me labor to fix it...
Come to think of it, it's under warranty (didn't notice the year the first time). It shouldn't be condensing like you say. I'd tell the dealer you want it fixed under warranty. If he refuses, then ask him if that's the way Harley's building their bikes now. Remember his answer and recite it and the problem to HD's District Manager in a letter telling him getting it fixed under warranty is not unreasonable and to intervene on your behalf with the dealer. They should seal it right for you!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

There is nothing you can do about this speedo once water got in there, hair dryer may work. Since the first time I washed my bike without covering the speedo, there is still water mark there. I cover my speedo with a plastic bag every single time I wash.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

I got a water mark on my speedo, it drives me nuts...I should have the dealer fix it under warranty.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

I keep my bike in a garage all the time while being stored. I don't know why it has so much in there from the factory but it's really annoying to have this smudge on my guage...I'll ask (tell) the dealer to fix it when I take it in for 1k service.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also keep my bike in the garage and I have moisture marksunder the speedo. It acutally fogs up while riding. I've told this to harley and they acknowledge that it can do that. They advise leaving it in the sun to dry out after a ride. I was also told that it would not be covered under warranty. They fully admit that the speedos can collect moisture due to the fact that they are NOT water sealed.

For those thinking that I am making this up, please visit the xl forums where this has been discussed ad nauseum. Also, you can see the many folks who've tried to get harley to fix, or replace under warranty and were denied. Also, the speedo can NOT be dissasembled for cleaning is what I've been told.

My advice is not to worry too much about it.

Rob

Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
pwnzilla
Cruiser

That's a great idea Harley lets make the ONLY gauge on the whole bike not water tight...wtf...I hate to say this but that's typical American engineering. By not putting a 25cent gasket in the speedo everyone has to look at smudges.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM
joakim
Advanced

You guys look at your speedos??

Old 09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not trying to defend them, but I've heard that they tried water proofing them and found that they exploded/shattered at extreme temps. could be bs, but that's what I remember reading on the xl forums.

also, go on the softail forums and see how many fuel gauges and speedos are fogging up for them. Answer is LOTS.

And...I was looking at a real nice 06 low rider with 2800 miles on it last year. What did I notice? Water marks under the glass of both the fuel gauge and the speedo. It's apparently very common.

Rob

Quick Reply: Speedo Moisture?