Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown rocker gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown rocker gasket

So I have a 07 1200C..... had some odd issues in past with like the stock exhaust clamps coming loose and bike running lean than it already is stock, frontend wobble from loose steering head bearings, etc due to Pensacola H-D missing things during 1k service....

since then I have gotten service manual, switched bike to mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 oil (at 2600-2800mi roughly, forgot offhand) to deal with the summer heat here in florida, and added a few things. PC3usb, doherty powerpacc w/ twinkit powervents, and V&H shortshots staggered.

I'm at just about 4,000 miles now, and my rear cylinder rocker cover gasket has seemed to blown. looks like it is the gasket between the top rocker cover and the lower rocker box just above the head. I can't tell if it's also seeping oil below there or not because the oil is slowly wheeping down from the top gasket and working it's way down to the top couple of cooling fins before I get a chance to whipe it. I ride my bike to/from school and work and it's about my only transportation lately, so it gets rode 60+ miles a day. It doesn't seem to be losing much oil but I am keeping track of the oil level when I get to work in mornings and when I get back home from work.

Just searching the forums, it seems to have been a common problem amongst the 04-05 or so rubbermounts, but haven't seen too much for the 07's. Is this problem something that still occurs commonly with the 07's as well?

I've noticed recently that my powervents have finally began occasionally spitting up a little oil every so often. I now clean them out every few days of a little oil mist so haven't had them spit up since.... I notice the mist does accumulate though....

The rear cylinder rocker cover I noticed leaking friday when I was at work. I noticed in the past small drips of oil back there in spots but couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I'm guessing that was the signs of the rear rocker cover gasket going.

Then today, I was sitting at a redlight after running to campus to buy books for one of my classes and I look down and there is a little bit of smoke coming from the rear cylinder breather (coming from the powervent). I couldn't tell if there was any coming from front cylinder as well or just rear cylinder. didn't see any oil mist puking out, just the little bit of smoke. Just enough to be visible and wasn't accumulating around the bike or anything. This was after the bike dealt with a little bit of stop and go sitting at redlights and such, and was running rather warm. Once I got moving and stopped at another redlight, I didn't notice it anymore.

I have noticed when I check the oil after I have been riding for atleast 30-40 miles in city traffic, when I open the oil cap, a little bit of smoke rolls off the oil for a second.

I run my oil tank right around 1/2 between the fill and full marks on dipstick and oil has less than 1,500 miles on it. Anyone have any ideas what's up? Is my bike having a major blowby issue which is why the rocker cover gasket blew? Why was the smoke coming from my breather? Any ideas on what could be going on or what needs to be checked would be appreciated.

I already have an appointment with Eastern Shore H-D in Daphne, AL to have the rocker cover gasket replaced this coming saturday morning. I'm hoping there won't be any issues with warranty. I have called them in the past to check if they had issues with the pc3usb, or exhausts or anything as far as voiding warranty and no issues and they tune pc3usb in house. I was recommended this place for warranty work by a local indy that has a good rep with harley and S&S motors and performance mods.

Is there anything in particular I should have them check? Maybe a compression test and leakdown test to check the rings and valves? I'm just trying to get my stuff in order before I head over there so hopefully my problem will be fixed right the first time. Will be about a 60mile ride out there,

Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blown rocker gasket

Just pulled back in about 30minutes ago from riding 124 miles roundtrip to Eastern Shore H-D in Daphne, AL..... blew the lower rocker box gasket AGAIN!

They replaced the upper and lower rocker box gaskets, the center gasket(s) for the bolts (forgot the details on that one) and they checked my rocker box to make sure it wasn't warped or cracked.... Not sure what's going on. I called them when I got home and they can get to it today, but it's an hour and 15minute ride back over there, and it will be late in day to get to it today, so I go back tuesday morning.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this? This is the second blown gasket and this one only lasted 62 miles. I stopped off at the florida state line to check it and it was all clean. So somewhere between there and home (about 30-35miles), it blew. The fastest I got up to was maybe 80-82mph when passing, and cruised mostly around 75mph on the interstate and 45-55mph the other 10-15miles... so it wasn't like I was ramping it up over 100 nonstop lol

I noticed again that when I got off the interstate and was sitting at the redlight, smoke was once again coming from my rear breather, but forgot to check for the oil splatter. My crankcase breathers seem to be breathing just fine. Once I got home I checked it while idling and only the rear breather was blowing smoke. front breather was fine. So something must be up there..... Anyone have ideas/theories?

I'm wondering if the rear cylinder is having excessive blowby and causing it? It would seem the smoke from breather and blowing gaskets are related since it is only happening to the rear cylinder.