Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding distance

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
sportster orange
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default riding distance

how far do you ride your sportster at 70 mph?...how long do you go before taking a break?....mpg on your sportster ?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: riding distance

I just did a little trip so this is current info........ Rode at 70mph or faster for as long as I needed to (upto 1 hour or so)so I could keep with the flow of traffic at times. Only ill effect on MY bike is that I get the oil blow by if I hold those speeds for any length of time. A quick wipe of the chrome and no worries. If I sustained that speed in hot conditions my oil would get up to 220 degrees or so.

I was getting between 40 and 50 mpg over a two day trip covering right at 980 miles. I was on freeway, mountains, hot desert , city and coastal roads in varying traffic from heavy to none.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

'Course, -I- don't ride the Sportster for great distances, but my wife rides it behind me. In general, after around a hundred miles, you are ready to get off and stretch. 110-115, depending on what tank/carb we had on it, head winds, etc.and she would be getting fairly low on gas. Now with her larger tank and EFI, we can go 140-150 if we want to, but even at that, 110-120 miles at 70-80MPH and we'd gas up. Mileage has varied over the years. With the current setup, we are getting between 45 and 60 MPG depending mostly on the wind and I'd say averaging at 50. I think I could tune it a bit more, but I was running out of time before the trip to Sturgis this year. The windshield cuts off about 10 MPG. When we got the bike, with the stock carb on there that was borderline dangerous to ride, and with her not having that much street experience at the time (afraid to nail it), and in the mountains with no windshield and a 55 MPH speed limit, we would get over 90 MPG. It was amazing. Even 100 a couple times. It was just dangerous to ride the thing. You could never be sure you could pull out in traffic without it popping and dieing on you right there because it was so lean. And, the windshield was good for an additional 100 miles for the day as she wasn't near as tired, at the cost of 10 MPG.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:06 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back fromDown Home Rally in TN
about 30 riders on trip down
125m is long enough for this old fart any thing after that you beat the Hell out of you on a sportster
did Iron Butt Ride home to Pa
total 541 miles took 11hrs lost a 1hr for traffic jam or would of took 10 hrs haulin *** at 70+ the whole way home and Yes i did Lead them boys and girls home ok

i did a 150 miler just to say we did it but it was a killer on the body
Ride Safe

Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dr.Hess

'Course, -I- don't ride the Sportster for great distances, but my wife rides it behind me. In general, after around a hundred miles, you are ready to get off and stretch. 110-115, depending on what tank/carb we had on it, head winds, etc.and she would be getting fairly low on gas. Now with her larger tank and EFI, we can go 140-150 if we want to, but even at that, 110-120 miles at 70-80MPH and we'd gas up. Mileage has varied over the years. With the current setup, we are getting between 45 and 60 MPG depending mostly on the wind and I'd say averaging at 50. I think I could tune it a bit more, but I was running out of time before the trip to Sturgis this year. The windshield cuts off about 10 MPG. When we got the bike, with the stock carb on there that was borderline dangerous to ride, and with her not having that much street experience at the time (afraid to nail it), and in the mountains with no windshield and a 55 MPH speed limit, we would get over 90 MPG. It was amazing. Even 100 a couple times. It was just dangerous to ride the thing. You could never be sure you could pull out in traffic without it popping and dieing on you right there because it was so lean. And, the windshield was good for an additional 100 miles for the day as she wasn't near as tired, at the cost of 10 MPG.
Good post....... the windshield will cut milage per gallon but will add tomiles riddenper day.
As for distance ........ The Dr has that right too, 100-125 milesis about the limit before a short break is needed, as a rule of thumb of course.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM
gaijin
Advanced

I've done about 500 miles in one day only stopping for gas every 100 (just to be safe). I also took about an extra 15-30 minute break for lunch. Other than that I was in the 70-85 mph range.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I guess I'm just an old fa#t. I prefer the back roads and an average speed on them of 50-55 mph. It's the kind of riding I really prefer. Country roads, interesting scenery, and some good twisties thrown in are my most enjoyable venues. The Interstate slabs are very boring and mesmerizing to me (to the point of wanting to take a nap). That being said, there are times when they can't be avoided and speeds of 70-85 mphare the order of the day just to keep from being run over - lol! I try to make sure the windshield I bought to extend my riding season is on if I anticipate over 15 minutes on the slab in any given ride. My longest stretch at one timeriding 70 and above has probably been about 1-1/2 hours. When I looked back on that stretch, I couldn't tell you what I saw, let alone what I sawthat was interesting.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

As for daily distance, I figure four hundred is good to shoot for. I ain't 23 anymore. We can still do 550, and we do occasionally like when your almost home, but I figure that if we do four hundred, that's enough. The heat and the wind will wear you down more than anything else. The sporty isn't as cushy to ride as my dresser, and my wife isn't 22 anymore either. I did 800+ in one day going to Sturgis by myself in '02. I could have done more time wise, but I was beat after getting through a storm that I couldn't see 20 ft ahead in and getting pushed over one lane by a wind gust. Took the next hotel I could find at that point.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe a little off topic, but are you guys really getting 10 MPG less when using a windshield?

Didn't have a windshield on my 1200C, but I have a 'quick detachable' windshield on my Softail FatBoy, and have made many long range runs with, and without the windshield installed.

Under the same riding conditions, and all things being as equal as possible, my average mileage isn't that extreme. Without the windshield I average 49 to 50 MPG, and with the windshield it's 46 to 47 MPG. Difference is only a couple of miles per gallon.

But when you think about it, even without a windshield the wind will be hitting your body and causing a lot of resistance. (Unless you ride leaning low over to tank to reduce the surface area of your upper body)...

I'm not any good with math, but it would be interesting for some 'math guru' to calculate the surface area of wind hitting a windshield, and that of the surface area of your upper body and arms that the wind hits.

And, just to stay on topic, my modified 2005 1200C averaged right at 50 MPG, and I usually stopped every hundred miles or so to stretch, have a cigarette, etc...

Old 09-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I use a quick-detach windshield to extend my riding season on both ends and the mileage factor is negligible - MAYBE 1 or 2 mpg less with it on. And to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if there's any difference - certainly not very noticeable. I am now averaging 50-53 mpg (depending on conditions) on my 1200R withStage 1 S&S AC and SE II slip-ons, #48 pilot and 185 main jet. Of course the 3.3 gallon tank has me stoppingroughly every 100 miles or so for gas, but by then I'm ready for a smoke anyway. My reserve holds more than advertised and the main runs out after about 2 gallons (and I hate switching to reserve when riding, but do when necessary).

Quick Reply: riding distance