Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tempted to move to the darkside (Metric)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 AM
foojay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tempted to move to the darkside (Metric)

Bought the 06 XL1200C used in Feb. Put about 3K miles on her since. Problem is I bought this bike for the wife and I. Dropped $300 on a LePera Sorrento seat, which come to find out isn't the most comfortable seat around. The wife complains about how everytime we ride her feet go numb from the vibrations etc. My buddy just bought a Vstar Silverado and I took er for a test drive, much smoother bike. I'd love to stay with a Harley but to get the type of bike I want I'd have to spend a good bit more $$ to move up to a larger bike, something at this time I just simply can't do.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:36 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: I'm tempted to move to the darkside (Metric)

Buy whatever makes you happy and fits your current needs.

Too many people get hung up over the specific make and model of bike that they own.

What you ride isn't that important, as long as you are out there 'in the wind' on 2-wheels and having a good time.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been tempted to but don't think I will ever go back.I was out near a local Yammy dealer and they had a sweeet flamed Warrior 1670cc but I like my bike plenty.Dawn complains sometimes of her stiffness after riding. We are going out in about an hour to let her ride my Shadow so hopefully she takes a liking to ride her own,otherwise I see myself getting a Softail Custom or Springer in the near future,maybe for next year. We rode all day yesterday and had a great time but she is stiff as hell this morningI guess[:'(]I would prefer to just keep my bike and have her on her own thoughGood luck[8D]

Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

It couldn't be said any better than what OFG said...

Just keep the rubber down and the wind in your face!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with OldFenderGuy except that you really aren't saving that much when you consider the resale value of the Metrics. I sell Metric Cruisers and I can tell you that you will lose a bunch unless you are dealing used. Make sure you check the NADA book to get the closest up to date "Current Value" of the bike you are looking at so that you get in it right. NADA is not accurate for Harley's but is right on with the Metrics. You can lose as much as $2500 by driving a V Star off the lot.

Good Luck,
Terry

Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the guys in our riding group has a silverado and it is a real nice bike... I too would like to have a 2nd bike for 2 up riding and keep my sporty just for when I ride alone.

wayne

Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: foojay

Bought the 06 XL1200C used in Feb. Put about 3K miles on her since. Problem is I bought this bike for the wife and I. Dropped $300 on a LePera Sorrento seat, which come to find out isn't the most comfortable seat around. The wife complains about how everytime we ride her feet go numb from the vibrations etc. My buddy just bought a Vstar Silverado and I took er for a test drive, much smoother bike. I'd love to stay with a Harley but to get the type of bike I want I'd have to spend a good bit more $$ to move up to a larger bike, something at this time I just simply can't do.
If her feet are going numb there must be something wrong with the bike. I would start there. I think all HD bikes are very smooth now and areclose to metics....The big twins still have a good shake at idel, but the sportsters and big twins are very smooth.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a rope!

Seriously though if you and the wife want a different bike then by all means get what you want. It's your money (well hers probably ) so get what you want.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got rid of a 99 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 that I had bought new. Sure it was smoother than a Sportster. I put 48,000 miles on it, but also had to have the engine rebuilt twice. Once at 22K for a broken cam chain, then again at 41K for a broken exhaust valve. After the second rebuild the transmission started to go. Had no second gear when I sold it.

One thing about most of the overhead cam metric bikes is that no engine work can be done without first pulling the entire engine, so repair costs are very high. If you don't put a lot of miles on it, don't worry about it.

A low end Dyna is not that expensive and just as smooth as any metric bike.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had alot of different make bikes over the years and I can't recall ever having a bad one. So many bikes, so little time!!! Get the one you want and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: I'm tempted to move to the darkside (Metric)