Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1275 kit Issues

Search this Thread

Old Today | 12:17 AM
OCSpringer
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team
Default 1275 kit Issues

So I have been having some issues with this 1275 kit. Rear cylinder no problem. Popped right on. Front cylinder does not line up with the case. It's off enough that I couldn't install the pushrod bases because the holes wouldn't line up.

I contacted Hammer and they sent me a new front cylinder. The new one is worse than the first. The new one is so off the cylinder studs are right up against the walls of the holes.

I thought maybe it's actually the guide pin on the case so I popped another cylinder I have on there and it lines up perfectly so it's definitely the cylinder.

I don't know if hammer has a bad batch of front cylinders or what so I feel like I am going to just keep going back and fourth on this so I ended up drilling out the guide hole on the first one they sent me and filled it with jb weld and popped it on to create a new guide hole.

So now it looks like everything will line up and I can get the cylinder on. It is still a little off on the case but not near as much. So my question is...is there anything I should be concerned about with doing this?

Last edited by OCSpringer; Today at 12:19 PM.
Old Today | 03:47 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Will the piston go up and down as it should?

Old Today | 06:57 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer

Man OC, that’s a bummer. Does Hammer had any thoughts on your JB deal or why their cylinder is off?

Assuming once torqued in place the jug won’t move, but I’d be thinking about the thrust side and premature wear. Hammer should have an answer and be happy to help. Looks like they have a bad batch if you’ve tried two new ones. I’d give hammer a bit of time they’re good people.

Old Today | 07:05 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

I get you frustration, but personally I'd keep on Hammer til you get a good cylinder. That JB weld is going breakdown and the cylinder is going to move. Probably going to be a leaker at that point, but you never know.

The following users liked this post:
Old Today | 07:41 AM
OCSpringer
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Agreed. I don't think the cylinder would be able to move much as the pushrod base is up against it and everything I think is lined up enough so the exhaust and intake would seal up properly. But for the money I have into this motor I shouldn't have to be doing any jury rigged solutions to get things to work. I'll contact Hammer tomorrow. They may give me a hard time about drilling the cylinder but it was toast anyway so it's not like they could resell it if I send it back. It's one step forward, two steps back with this engine lately. Rebuilt the whole chasis only to have the motor go south on it's first ride out with a top end that was only at 3500 miles. My garage is like a used parts warehouse right now. I have 2 1/2 motors apart in there.

Last edited by OCSpringer; Today at 12:22 PM.
Old Today | 07:59 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

That’s pretty odd that you’d get two cylinders that are defective.
Id be in contact with Hammer again.

Old Today | 08:14 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member

Interesting.
Let us know.

FWIW
I am not in favor of the JB Weld fix.... too many unknown long-term issues....plus if I understand the cylinder is still slightly offset even with this modification.
I'd vote that Hammer has a bad batch.
In summary, if I understand, one guide pin hole/ shaft is machined in an incorrect position and if the guide pin is removed all the head bolts, push rods, tubes, et al, align correcly.
With the pins and all installed on the case, a "test" cylinder fits correctly.

Old Today | 08:58 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I would not be satisfied with that solution. Hammer needs to check the QC of their supplier ASAP, something like that could really hurt a business going forward.

John

Last edited by John Harper; Today at 10:04 AM.
Old Today | 09:33 AM
OCSpringer
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Interesting.
Let us know.

FWIW
I am not in favor of the JB Weld fix.... too many unknown long-term issues....plus if I understand the cylinder is still slightly offset even with this modification.
I'd vote that Hammer has a bad batch.
In summary, if I understand, one guide pin hole/ shaft is machined in an incorrect position and if the guide pin is removed all the head bolts, push rods, tubes, et al, align correcly.
With the pins and all installed on the case, a "test" cylinder fits correctly.
That is correct. It seems it is the guide pin hole. The bottom end is completely new so I thought maybe when they reassembled it something was off with the guide pin on the case but my old cylinder (I tried both my old 1200 cylinder and the 883 cylinder and both are nuts on) so it is definitely the cylinder.

I was actually a little worried because when the second 1275 cylinder popped on I could tell it wedged on the cylinger studs so I was worried about shavings from the AL where the threads scraped getting into the motor once I pried it loose. There were shavings but they stuck to the threads. I covered everything really well and blew them off with compressed air. I've put the old cylinder on for now to make sure nothing gets in the motor. I feel like it may be a while before this gets resolved.

Old Today | 09:34 AM
OCSpringer
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by John Harper
I would not be satisfied with that solution. Hammer needs to check the OC of their supplier ASAP, something like that could really hurt a business going forward.

John
Ya, as you can tell from the pics it is really off. Not good. It's one thing when you're talking about some bolt on accessory but this is a motor. mm probably matter.

Last edited by OCSpringer; Today at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 1275 kit Issues