Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
RamSportster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the shocks

Someone told me you can lower the sportster by adjusting the rear shocks to a different setting? Is that true, or do you need to purchase a lowering kit? Also, if you can, how will this affect the riding? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer
Default RE: Adjusting the shocks

Adjusting the preload on your shocks won't change your ride height, only the relative stiffness. To lower your bike you'll either need shorter shocks, or a lowering kit (like a Burly bracket, which just offsets the lower shock mount so that it sits lower and more towards the rear). And if you lower the bike, always do the rear first and more so than the front (if you also use a fork spring lowering kit).

Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 PM
RonnieJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can make the shock softer and they will sag more when you sit on it and it will most likely ride like **** so go ahead and get a lowering kit or shorter shocks.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:37 PM
RamSportster
Intermediate

awesome, thanks for the quick replys! The burly brackets are a good product?

Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always glad to see people offering the advice to do it the right way. I'm proud to know y'all!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RamSportster

awesome, thanks for the quick replys! The burly brackets are a good product?
They're cheaper, anyway! Frankly, I haven't tried them and only know one or two that have, and they eventually went with shorter shocks (Progressive 412s the model of choice although the 418s and 440s are great albeit much pricier, 11" is about as low as anyone I know has gone even though I know of just one 10.5-incher out there :-). At the same time, I don't know of any major problems going with the brackets. Burly is a good company - you should be able to find their kit in the major catalogs (JP Cycle, Jireh, etc.). But shop around, I've saved a lot by actually picking up the part somewhere else (like www.discountcycleparts.com or calling Sorgys - www.sorgys.com). Good luck!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 AM
TennRider
Tourer

I have a pair of lowering blocks for a 05 883 that I took off my bike last month. Not sure what they go for, but they are new.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack a thread - but this was a wandering question of mine and I'd hate to repost with a question so close

you can make the shock softer and they will sag more when you sit on it and it will most likely ride like ****
Ok from the dealer, the shocks are set all the way down - on my 05 this was a definate nut buster (excuse me - to borrow my 10yr old sons term - card shuffler) - haven't noticed it as much with the 06 but I do only have 260 miles before nappie nap time (never thought I'd use that term in referance to a HARLEY) - so I want the Low look - but I wouold like to have grandchildren - suggestions on bottoming out?

Old 11-23-2005, 10:22 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked the dealer about lowering my 1200C more in line with the 1200L. I only want to drop the rear an inch or so and leave the front stock.

I asked about shorter shocks or lowering brackets. The answer they gave was that the Customs are pretty much lowered as far as you can go without risking bottoming out and ripping wiring out from the fender (worst case) even if you used brackets or short shocks. Is this true?

Or can you safely lower a Custom by an inch or to without high risk of bottoming out and without sacrificing ride quality? Will preloading the shocks take care of this? I plan two-up riding. Concerns there with the extra weight?

Old 11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Release
Intermediate

HArley does not sell anything that they say will lower a 1200C. The 883 Low and 1200 Lows only bring those bikes to the height of a custom. My preload was adjusted to it's lowest setting when the bike was received, so, if that is typical, adjusting preload will not lower the shock (it's already at it's lowest). Increasing the preload does raise the seat height however.

Quick Reply: Adjusting the shocks